Encountered a problem this morning that I thought I'd post here and add to the solutions.
I was working with an application that has been working fine for over a year now, but was tweaking a few things and encountered an error message of:
Method 'Add' of object 'INodes' failed
I had made a number of what I believed were trivial changes to the application and could not figure out what was causing this to occur. I only found one solution on EE with this subject and the solution for it did not work for me, so I started searching Google and found a couple of posts that each addressed the same problem, that they were getting this message when attempting to add the first node to a treeview control.
In both cases, the solution was to ensure that the treeview control was visible at the time of the addition.
It turns out that one of the things I had done was to remark out a line of code (me.visible = true) that made the form visible in the Open event. I had done this because I wanted to be able to open the form in a hidden mode while the user has the Splash screen displayed on their screen.
In the forms Load event, I was calling a subroutine and passing it the treeview object (tvw) , but it was not being recognized. When I added an error handler
If Err.Number = -2147417848 Then
Set tvw = Forms("frm_Activities").tr
for that error number, it seemed to work, but when the treeview appeared, there was an extra node at the top of the tree with no text.
When I checked to see how many nodes were in the tree, there were 8, which is the correct number once the FY10 and FY11 nodes are expanded. When I clicked on any of the other nodes, they reacted as expected, but when I clicked on the first node (the one with the green dot) it locked up Access and I had to use the Task Manager to shut down Access.
Resolution for this problem was to ensure that the form with the treeview was visible when the first node was added.