Solved

sccm missing clients

Posted on 2011-02-21
2
1,320 Views
Last Modified: 2012-06-27
We are  trying to inventory all our systems.  we are finding that about 200 out of 10,000 don't have the client installed.  We have tried to pushout the client using the console and GPO's.  no effect.  Any ideas would be great!
0
Comment
Question by:Effective68
[X]
Welcome to Experts Exchange

Add your voice to the tech community where 5M+ people just like you are talking about what matters.

  • Help others & share knowledge
  • Earn cash & points
  • Learn & ask questions
2 Comments
 
LVL 6

Accepted Solution

by:
Draxonic earned 500 total points
ID: 34947079
I had similar issues at an organisation I worked for not long ago and there seemed to be two basic causes of this.

The first was WMI issues on one of the SOE builds. This was fixed by forcing a reset of WMI on the clients.

The second cause was that the time zone was not set correctly on some of the clients, which caused a time synchronisation issue. Correcting the time zone on those clients and setting the time correctly fixed the problem.

Other than that, I would recommend you check the client logs on some of the computers that are not reporting in.
0
 
LVL 5

Expert Comment

by:alreadyinuse
ID: 34948521
We actually install using a logon .bat file and write the client results to a text file. If they run the script when they logon then it logs to a text file the client is already installed, or that is is not installed and chains to the sccm bat install file.

Also there is a tool that i use that is free for troubleshooting clients. SCCM Client Center (SMSCliCtr)
Copyright (c) 2008 by Roger Zander just google it and you will find it.

Also to do the clients not show up at all in SCCM in a collection? Is not is your AD discovery for clients working properly, are these possibly AD computer objects but do not actually exist physically any longer.? YOu can force clients to update their DDR with SCCM for one thing. Which brings up a common issue. In the windows folder of the system drive there is smscnfg.ini which if you look these may have multiple GUID's over time. To correct this i delete the smscnfg.ini and restart the SMS Host service. This recreates the smscnfg.ini and cleans up the GUID's. I then use the tool to force it to update it's DDR and wait a little while. You can also delete the client object from SCCM as when it updates or checks in it recreates the entry in SCCM

And lastly how are you checking the inventory for the installation? Using a report looking for the .exe or other?

Just throwing out some options and things i have ran into.
0

Featured Post

What does it mean to be "Always On"?

Is your cloud always on? With an Always On cloud you won't have to worry about downtime for maintenance or software application code updates, ensuring that your bottom line isn't affected.

Question has a verified solution.

If you are experiencing a similar issue, please ask a related question

I was prompted to write this article after the recent World-Wide Ransomware outbreak. For years now, System Administrators around the world have used the excuse of "Waiting a Bit" before applying Security Patch Updates. This type of reasoning to me …
After seeing many questions for JRNL_WRAP_ERROR for replication failure, I thought it would be useful to write this article.
This tutorial will show how to push an installation of Backup Exec to an additional server in both 2012 and 2014 versions of the software. Click on the Backup Exec button in the upper left corner. From here, select Installation and Licensing, then I…
To efficiently enable the rotation of USB drives for backups, storage pools need to be created. This way no matter which USB drive is installed, the backups will successfully write without any administrative intervention. Multiple USB devices need t…
Suggested Courses

624 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

Join & Ask a Question