Solved

SSL Certificate Name validation failed.

Posted on 2011-02-22
5
2,442 Views
Last Modified: 2012-05-11
I've just transferred an SBS2003 box over to a new Server 2008R2\Exchange 2010 install and yes, I'm running an AD GC and Exchange on the same box but until I can spend more I have no resources to run any other way.  I've also just applied a new SSL certificate.  Things are 'mostly' working after much kludging around but most annoyingly I'm getting this error on testing external connections:

Certificate name validation failed.
Additional Details
Host name mydomain.com doesn't match any name found on the server certificate CN=owa.mydomain.com

Have been through the Exchange Management Console and everything external points to the CN so why is the host looking for mydomain.com?

Trying to set through the Exchange shell:
Set-ClientAccessServer -Identity CAS_Server_Name -AutodiscoverServiceInternalUri https://owa.mydomain.com/autodiscover/autodiscover.xml 

gets the result:
The operation couldn't be performed because object 'CAS_Server_Name' couldn't be found on 'server.mydomain.local'.
    + CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (0:Int32) [Set-ClientAccessServer], ManagementObjectNotFoundException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : C9111A49,Microsoft.Exchange.Management.SystemConfigurationTasks.SetClientAccessServer

So if the CAS name doesn't exist in AD how is it getting the host?  If I need to how do I make the CAS_Server_Name entry manually?

0
Comment
Question by:Jalbkay
[X]
Welcome to Experts Exchange

Add your voice to the tech community where 5M+ people just like you are talking about what matters.

  • Help others & share knowledge
  • Earn cash & points
  • Learn & ask questions
  • 4
5 Comments
 
LVL 7

Expert Comment

by:viveksahu
ID: 34957864
0
 

Author Comment

by:Jalbkay
ID: 34957971
Hey Viveksahu,

Thanks for that but that i've actually already been there.  Regardless of the syntax, CASServer or CAS_Server_Name, Set-ClientAccessServer -Identity still gives the error:
The operation couldn't be performed because object 'CAS_Server_Name' couldn't be found.
0
 

Accepted Solution

by:
Jalbkay earned 0 total points
ID: 34957984
I've just had a 'Doh!' moment.  Should I be substituting 'CASServer' with my server name?
0
 

Author Comment

by:Jalbkay
ID: 34957990
Why yes, yes I should... to long at it and no-one to see the obvious for me.  Thanks anyway.
0
 

Author Closing Comment

by:Jalbkay
ID: 34990901
I found the error myself
0

Featured Post

The Eight Noble Truths of Backup and Recovery

How can IT departments tackle the challenges of a Big Data world? This white paper provides a roadmap to success and helps companies ensure that all their data is safe and secure, no matter if it resides on-premise with physical or virtual machines or in the cloud.

Question has a verified solution.

If you are experiencing a similar issue, please ask a related question

Background Information Recently I have fixed file server permission issues for one of my client. The client has 1800 users and one Windows Server 2008 R2 domain joined file server with 12 TB of data, 250+ shared folders and the folder structure i…
After hours on line I found a solution which pointed to the inherited Active Directory permissions . You have to give/allow permissions to the "Exchange trusted subsystem" for the user in the Active Directory...
The video tutorial explains the basics of the Exchange server Database Availability groups. The components of this video include: 1. Automatic Failover 2. Failover Clustering 3. Active Manager
To add imagery to an HTML email signature, you have two options available to you. You can either add a logo/image by embedding it directly into the signature or hosting it externally and linking to it. The vast majority of email clients display l…

726 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

Join & Ask a Question