I have removed a server running 2008 standard from it's environs to my workshop to export a large (5 gig) OST file to PST, then do a wipe and reinstall on the server. The server lost power for a long period of time and is generally not performing well. It is a single DC environment so I am under pressure to get this done.
The user in question has a badly corrupted local OST file as a result of the long power outage, hence my attempt to get the mail store off the server and on to a PST.
I removed the server also as I cannot seem to join clients back to the domain. Indeed my attempts to join my test XP machine to the domain to run the Export-Mailbox cmdlet are failing. The domain won’t show up in XP under “entire network’ or Microsoft Windows Network”.
My sole objective is to capture this mail store. I don’t really care HOW I do it. Once I have done that I am going to backup the server’s data shares and start again.
What I have done with the mail recovery so far:
- Exmerge won’t work as Mail store is 5 gig.
- ‘Outlook recovery toolbox’ run on client – breaks the OST into 5 pst files that won’t import back into Outlook without resulting in rubbish.
- ‘Recover Data for MS Exchange OST to MS Outlook PST’ run on client – reports corrupt OST.
What I have done with joining test workstation to domain to attempt to run Export-Mailbox cmdlet from a client
- IPV4 dynamic
- IPV4 static including WINS server
- Added test computer to computer list on server
- Added Server to hosts file on test workstation : “xx.xx.xx.xx dcname.domain.local”
All I need is the Mail Store. Can anyone please help me?