Solved

Access Title Bar from VBA

Posted on 2011-02-24
8
594 Views
Last Modified: 2012-05-11
I am attempting to update the Application title bar using vba to update the app title based on data in a table. It seems to lag behind and at times be completely wrong. The code is below.

The dlookup function checks a linked table to see if the field value of [isrunning] is true.
If it is, Access should display one title, if it's false another. The function is called whenever a form is opened and from an AUTOEXEC macro at startup.

Note: the startup macro seems to be  the only time it even partially works.
Public Function update_title_bar()
Dim db As Database, app_title As String
Set db = CurrentDb

If DLookup("isrunning", "tbl_base_status") = True Then
    app_title = "Client - Online"
Else
    app_title = "Client****OFFLINE****"
End If

db.Properties("AppTitle").Value = app_title

Application.RefreshTitleBar
End Function

Open in new window

0
Comment
Question by:JP_TechGroup
  • 4
  • 3
8 Comments
 
LVL 84

Accepted Solution

by:
Scott McDaniel (Microsoft Access MVP - EE MVE ) earned 250 total points
ID: 34972093
That should work. Here's an article that shows more detail, but in essence you calling RefreshTitleBar should work:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd903046%28v=office.12%29.aspx

Where are you calling this?
0
 

Author Comment

by:JP_TechGroup
ID: 34972198
It runs from an AUTOEXEC macro at program open (which is the only time it works at all)
and from the on_form_load subs for about 8 forms. These do not work.
I concur, it should!
0
 
LVL 10

Assisted Solution

by:conagraman
conagraman earned 250 total points
ID: 34981886
i dont know if this helps but i noticed one thing in your syntax. i dont think you can use dlookup in the way you are trying.
DLookup("isrunning", "tbl_base_status") = True

it wont return a true false statement instead it will return the first record in isrunning from the tbl_base_status. if the field should return the word true then put quotes around the = "true"

0
Complete VMware vSphere® ESX(i) & Hyper-V Backup

Capture your entire system, including the host, with patented disk imaging integrated with VMware VADP / Microsoft VSS and RCT. RTOs is as low as 15 seconds with Acronis Active Restore™. You can enjoy unlimited P2V/V2V migrations from any source (even from a different hypervisor)

 

Author Comment

by:JP_TechGroup
ID: 34982384
Thanks for the response and you are correct. Unfortunately, this makes no difference.
The update is always "one behind".
By that, I mean that if the look up value changes, you have to close and re-open to see the new title.
This must be some kind of known issue. The code couldn't possibly simpler. A check of my lookup and logic using debug shows that this portion is working correctly.
0
 
LVL 10

Expert Comment

by:conagraman
ID: 34982854
you can try changing the code.

this worked for me. you will still need to put in the dlookup function but other than that this should work.


Dim aTitle
Dim db As Database
Set db = CurrentDb()
Dim NewTitle As String

 
NewTitle = nz(Me.Text5,"")
 
Set aTitle = db.CreateProperty("Apptitle", dbText, NewTitle)
On Error Resume Next
db.Properties.Append aTitle

db.Properties("AppTitle").Value = NewTitle
Call Application.RefreshTitleBar
changeTitle.accdb
0
 

Author Comment

by:JP_TechGroup
ID: 34997741
Still having the same problem. I have to close and re-open the database to get the change to work. This is maddening.
0
 
LVL 10

Expert Comment

by:conagraman
ID: 34997876
i dont see why. i tried your code and it worked the first time.
i would try compiling your code and trying it again.
0
 

Author Closing Comment

by:JP_TechGroup
ID: 34997911
FOUND IT! Apparently the link to the form icon was changed to a non-existent location. Once I fixed this the title bar updates as it should... weird!
0

Featured Post

The Eight Noble Truths of Backup and Recovery

How can IT departments tackle the challenges of a Big Data world? This white paper provides a roadmap to success and helps companies ensure that all their data is safe and secure, no matter if it resides on-premise with physical or virtual machines or in the cloud.

Question has a verified solution.

If you are experiencing a similar issue, please ask a related question

I originally created this report in Crystal Reports 2008 where there is an option to underlay sections. I initially came across the problem in Access Reports where I was unable to run my border lines down through the entire page as I was using the P…
It’s been over a month into 2017, and there is already a sophisticated Gmail phishing email making it rounds. New techniques and tactics, have given hackers a way to authentically impersonate your contacts.How it Works The attack works by targeti…
Show developers how to use a criteria form to limit the data that appears on an Access report. It is a common requirement that users can specify the criteria for a report at runtime. The easiest way to accomplish this is using a criteria form that a…
In Microsoft Access, learn how to use Dlookup and other domain aggregate functions and one method of specifying a string value within a string. Specify the first argument, which is the expression to be returned: Specify the second argument, which …

785 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

Join & Ask a Question