Solved

ASP.NET Ajax Toolkit not working on production site but does on dev site

Posted on 2011-02-25
12
821 Views
Last Modified: 2012-05-11
Dear experts,

I have an ASP.NET app (C#) targeting the 3.5 Framework.

On one particular page I reference the AjaxControlToolkit and Sysytem.WebExtensions, and in the markup I use an UpdatePanel containing Triggers and a ContentTemplate. The trigger is a RadioButtonList, and I'm using a DatePicker on one textbox, and a Watermark on another textbox.

I have my website running on my local development machine which displays no problems whatsoever - datepicker and watermark are present and no postback when I change the selcted item in my RadioButtonList - sweet!

I have (what I'm positive is exactly) the same code uploaded to my dev website on our web server and this also displays no problems whatsoever - sweet!

I also have the same code uploaded to the production website, on the same server as the dev code, however the date picker and the watermark are nowhere to be seen and every time I change the selected item for the RadioButtonList the whole page is posted back.

Everything else with the whole app is exactly as it should be.

It's been quite some time since I added the code to the dev website on the web server - so am I just forgetting to do something on the server itself?

Any help would be appreciated as I feel I can't see the trees for the wood, and it's driving me mad!
0
Comment
Question by:Loomy
  • 5
  • 4
  • 3
12 Comments
 
LVL 12

Expert Comment

by:Pra4444
ID: 34979862
Is the AjaxcontrolToolkit.dll file found on the bin directory of your server where you deployed your project???
0
 
LVL 40

Expert Comment

by:Kyle Abrahams
ID: 34979882
You need to install the ajax runtime or the toolkit assemblies on the prod server as well.

0
 

Author Comment

by:Loomy
ID: 34980042
Pra444 - Yes the AjaxControlToolkit.dll is in the bin directory of the application on the server.

ged325 - I have two applications uploaded to the same web-server. One is my development code and one is my production code and both have the AjaxControlToolkit.dll in their respective bin directories.

Of the two apps (which are the same code) the dev code works properly but the production code doesn't.

The production code that doesn't work does not produce any error messages.
0
Netscaler Common Configuration How To guides

If you use NetScaler you will want to see these guides. The NetScaler How To Guides show administrators how to get NetScaler up and configured by providing instructions for common scenarios and some not so common ones.

 
LVL 12

Expert Comment

by:Pra4444
ID: 34980073
hmm..weird..

Do the websites(both production and  development) target the same .net framework version ???
0
 

Author Comment

by:Loomy
ID: 34980186
They do yeah - both 3.5.

That's what's so puzzling about it. I can discern no difference between them at all. I've uploaded the bin again but it doesn't seem to make any difference. I removed the AjaxControlToolkit.dll from the bin in order to verify that it would break - which it did - so I think it has eveything that's required apart from something very simple and obvious that I must be overlooking.
0
 
LVL 12

Accepted Solution

by:
Pra4444 earned 500 total points
ID: 34980435
Ok...

I would suggest you carefully compare the contents of both your test and production web.config file.

If you still cant find any diffference, try using firebug for firefox and try to debug uing it.
0
 
LVL 12

Expert Comment

by:Pra4444
ID: 34980468
0
 

Author Comment

by:Loomy
ID: 34980743
I've read the article and my system.web node doesn't have the xhtmlConformance element.

I'll do as you suggest and try comparing web.config files again and will try debugging in FF when I get the time.

Many thanks for your suggestions.
0
 
LVL 40

Expert Comment

by:Kyle Abrahams
ID: 34997080
Also it might be a DLL issue, specifically if it's not in the gac.  Would compare your binaries.
0
 
LVL 40

Expert Comment

by:Kyle Abrahams
ID: 35036483
Do you need further assistance?
0
 

Author Comment

by:Loomy
ID: 35036632
Havn't had chance to follow up on last comment as not at work till Monday.
0
 

Author Closing Comment

by:Loomy
ID: 35069752
Many thanks! <runtime> node was missing from Web.config.
0

Featured Post

Master Your Team's Linux and Cloud Stack!

The average business loses $13.5M per year to ineffective training (per 1,000 employees). Keep ahead of the competition and combine in-person quality with online cost and flexibility by training with Linux Academy.

Question has a verified solution.

If you are experiencing a similar issue, please ask a related question

Suggested Solutions

OverviewThis article demonstrates a simple search form using AJAX. The purpose of the article is to demonstrate how to use the same code to render a page and javascript (JQuery) and AJAX to make subsequent calls to refine the results. The princip…
It was really hard time for me to get the understanding of Delegates in C#. I went through many websites and articles but I found them very clumsy. After going through those sites, I noted down the points in a easy way so here I am sharing that unde…
Microsoft Active Directory, the widely used IT infrastructure, is known for its high risk of credential theft. The best way to test your Active Directory’s vulnerabilities to pass-the-ticket, pass-the-hash, privilege escalation, and malware attacks …
Finds all prime numbers in a range requested and places them in a public primes() array. I've demostrated a template size of 30 (2 * 3 * 5) but larger templates can be built such 210  (2 * 3 * 5 * 7) or 2310  (2 * 3 * 5 * 7 * 11). The larger templa…

770 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

Join & Ask a Question