Solved

The paramter cannot be blank.

Posted on 2011-02-25
2
1,232 Views
Last Modified: 2012-05-11
I have a report with 5 paramters, 2 are required (dates), 3 are not.  For the 3 that are not, all are set to Allow NULL value and the dataset behind each one has a UNION Select NULL, '<Select a Value>'.  When I preview the report, I select my dates and click View Report.  Works perfectly.  When I access the report from the webpage, I do the same exact thing...select my dates and click View Report.  I then get an error message stating that 'The parameter cannot be blank.'  It's referring to the last of the 5 parameters (one that is not required).  I then have to actually select the <Select a Value> item and then click View Report to get the report to generate.  1.  This does not happen when I preview in Visual Studio!  and 2.  It only does it for the 5th parameter --> parameters 3 & 4 are setup the same but it doesn't bark about them.  So far, I've deleted the parameter and added it back, rebuilt & redeployed, but with no luck.  Anyone have a clue as to why I'm getting this message at all since it is setup to Allow NULL and why does it only happen on the webpage and not in Preview mode?  Thanks.
0
Comment
Question by:MariaHalt
[X]
Welcome to Experts Exchange

Add your voice to the tech community where 5M+ people just like you are talking about what matters.

  • Help others & share knowledge
  • Earn cash & points
  • Learn & ask questions
  • 2
2 Comments
 

Accepted Solution

by:
MariaHalt earned 0 total points
ID: 34981021
Fixed it...not sure exactly which step corrected it (probably 2), but this is what I did (in case anyone else encounters the same problem).  1.  Deleted & recreated the parameter again, but this time, I renamed it slightly.  2.  Because I renamed it, I went to the dataset where the parameters are used and saw that the old one which I deleted was still there, huh, so I replaced it by selecting the new one from the dropdown.  3.  Rebuilt, redeployed, opened a different browser and it worked there!  So I went back to the other browser where the problem was occurring, and tried it again and it worked finally!  Yippee!
0
 

Author Closing Comment

by:MariaHalt
ID: 34981035
Didn't find much out there about this error, so I wanted to post my resolution.
0

Featured Post

Free Tool: Path Explorer

An intuitive utility to help find the CSS path to UI elements on a webpage. These paths are used frequently in a variety of front-end development and QA automation tasks.

One of a set of tools we're offering as a way of saying thank you for being a part of the community.

Question has a verified solution.

If you are experiencing a similar issue, please ask a related question

This code started out as a fix for a customer that had incoming data that was hunderds of numbers and words long that was to fit in one column. The problem was that the customer did not want to split words or numbers when wrapping in the column. …
Hi All, I am here to write a simple article to move SSRS (SQL Server Reporting Services) reports from one server to another. When I have faced the same issue to move reports those were developed by developer on development server and now need to …
If you’ve ever visited a web page and noticed a cool font that you really liked the look of, but couldn’t figure out which font it was so that you could use it for your own work, then this video is for you! In this Micro Tutorial, you'll learn yo…
In this video you will find out how to export Office 365 mailboxes using the built in eDiscovery tool. Bear in mind that although this method might be useful in some cases, using PST files as Office 365 backup is troublesome in a long run (more on t…

636 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

Join & Ask a Question