DCOM was unable to communicate with the computer on SBS 2008

On a SBS 2008 at one of my customers I continually get this event log

Log Name: System
Source: Microsoft-Windows-DistributedCOM
Date: 26/02/2011 7:41:55 AM
Event ID: 10009
Task Category: None
Level: Error
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: SBSERVER.kargomax.local
Description:
DCOM was unable to communicate with the computer <IP Address> using any of the
configured protocols.

I see that this started to happen on Feb 15th and now the events are generated
every few seconds with most the IP's addresses in the network

Any ideas what to look for?
LVL 1
GerhardpetAsked:
Who is Participating?

[Webinar] Streamline your web hosting managementRegister Today

x
 
GerhardpetConnect With a Mentor Author Commented:
I found the problem...the event is generated by the monitoring tool I'm using which is normal.
0
 
Larry Struckmeyer MVPCommented:
From the SBS Official Blog: (http://blogs.technet.com/b/sbs/archive/2008/08/26/known-post-installation-event-errors-in-sbs-2008-and-how-to-resolve-them.aspx)

Problem: The DCOM event id 10009 will occur when a client workstation has a miss-configured firewall or other issues affecting its network communications within the domain, for example if the workstation is not managed by an SBS GPO. In this scenario, the DCOM event 10009 will happen repeatedly, potentially hundreds per day.

Were the stations on this SBS added with the //connect wizard, and are they in the correct OU, My Business - Computers - SBS Computers?
0
 
GerhardpetAuthor Commented:
I found the problem...the event is generated by the monitoring tool I'm using which is normal.
0
 
bluemarbletechCommented:
I had the same issue with a client's 2011 SBS, the System log showed Event 1009 every 30 minutes for two computers in the domain. It did not seem to affect anything but the log was full of these errors. While dealing with some other issues I found the solution, which was pretty simple. No reg hacks, no port changes.

The two computers showing in the logs had recently been upgraded to Windows 7. They were both wiped clean and then had Win 7 pro reinstalled from scratch, and then rejoined to the domain with new computer names. However, both still showed in AD under the old names as well as the new ones. My guess is they were not dis-joined from the domain before the upgrade. The new computer names showed in AD under SBS Computers, but the old names were still showing under the Computers OU.

In my case the answer was as simple as deleting the old computer names out of AD. The new names stayed put and the errors which were filling up the logs every half hour stopped completely.

Hope this helps in any way.
0
All Courses

From novice to tech pro — start learning today.