I have found a couple of other issues on here that relate to this but no solutions that seem to work for our situation.
I have a client that started having an issue where some of their computers are unable to access the server, which is a 2003 smb server, using the server hostname. If they type in \\server in run or in the explorer window, all it pulls up is their off-line files. If they type in the IP \\x.x.x.x, it shows all the shares, and if they type the FQDN \\server.domain.local, it pulls up all the shares as well. They are running dynamic ip on all systems. Not all computers are having this issue. Some are able to access it just fine. There are about 4 systems though that are having this issue.
Nothing has changed and they are not running any kind of AV software on their server, and they are not using a firewall.
I have tried resetting the IP Stack for the systems having the problems. I have tried setting the IP addresses statically. I can ping both the IP and Host name of the server from these computers and it resolves properly. I have run an NSLOOKUP on both the ip and the host name and it resolves properly. I have even tried resetting their switch and router.
I cleared the ARP cache and flushed the DNS cache on these systems. The issue does not go away if I restart either the server or the workstations. It is only the one server that they are unable to access in this way. They only have one server, but they have other systems that have shares on them and they can access them just fine.
Their server does act as a Domain controller and a DNS server.
I apologize if this issue has been resolved in another forum, but of the ones I found, none of the solutions seemed to work for me.