I get the message in the screenshot each time I try to run System Restore (SR).
I can find neither file (Source/Destination) referenced in the screenshot on my PC.
Here is what I have done so far. I may not have remembered everything.
1) Ran SR from several restore dates (both with and without MS Security Essentials running). The Computer|System Protection|System Restore window suggests I do have System Restore points. See #5 below.
2) Ran SR in Safe Mode
3) Ran Chkdsk /r (no problems reported)
4) Ran sfc /scannow. (nothing reported) (SfcDetails.txt and C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS log are incomprehensible to me, but I can post.)
5) Looked at Volume Shadow Copy in Services. It is set as Automatic, but sometimes not Started. Remote Procedure Call is Started. However, on some other boots Volume Shadow Copy shows as Started.
6) Ran #1 of the above both after a manual start of Volume Shadow Copy and also
without checking Start status. However, on some other boots Volume Shadow Copy shows as Started.
7) Should VSC be Started at all times for System Restore to work? If so, how do I set VSC to always be on?
8) I unhid the System Volume Information folder. It shows as empty, though I understand this may not be correct. (Maybe I do not need to know, but where does Win7 store System Restore points so I can check to see if anything is there?)
9) I deleted all System Restore points, created a new one and waited until a new program was installed. Tried System Restore to the time before the new program. No difference. Same message.
I use Win7 Pro 64 bit. IE8. MS Security Essentials.