Hyperv cluster total shutdown and start up
Posted on 2011-02-28
Hi all, we have a three node hyper v cluster, all servers are dl385, connected to iscsi storage shared. I have three servers running including exchange, SQL, etc. Some of the guests use cvs. All machines VHd and vms use a shared storage volume too c:\shared.
This environment is due to move to the new rack in the computer room in the next few days. The rack is already cabled for power, etc. As well as the cluster, I will move 2 3560 switches, the storage controller and enclosure and 5 other servers dl 38s which run the domain controllers, etc. These 5 are not on the storage but one runs scvmm.
For this total shutdown, what's the best practice to ensure as smooth as possible?
I planned this course of action, but would appreciate any comments.
1. Close from failover console, all the guest vm
2. Shutdown the 3 nodes.
3. Shutdown the non domain controller servers.
4. Shutdown the storage
5. Shutdown the domain controllers
6. Switch off the 3560's
After moving the kit and cabling up as before
1. Power up switches.
2. Power up domain controllers
3. Power up storage
4. Power up non domain servers
5. Start all 3 cluster nodes at same time
Check all okay.
4. Shutdown the domain controllers.