Websphere Application Server lags with multiple connections
Posted on 2011-02-28
I have an application running in Websphere 6.0, Linux SUSE Enterprise 9 SP2 (server A) that makes db2 queries to another server (server B). During the development stage, everything seemed to be working just fine. The problem came when doing traffic tests: when creating between 80-100 concurrent http requests to the WAS app, the application just stops answering, where:
- CPU consumption in server A is less than 20% when doing volume tests (we have a good server)
- Memory still available during volume tests (around 50% from total used)
- When reaching around 80-100 http requests, the application server lags, even trying to enter the administrative console is greatly slowed down, I need to restart the whole WAS from the terminal re-establish it. Looks as if threads don't want to be resolved when the queue reaches certain volume of requests.
- All other applications installed in the Application Server are affected, even if the others aren't doing anything at all.
- There are no errors detected in the SystemErr.log
- "Server B" is not the problem (there are many other servers consulting db2 to that server without any problem.
- No network issues
- Websphere Application Server has base configuration (as installed)
My first assumption is that there is a parameter in the WAS configuration that I need to change (number of threads? max memory consumption for WAS threads? Max Clients?) but I'm a newbie with WAS (used to work with Tomcat). Resources like memory (currently 3GB) and CPU can be added without problem
Any suggestions are greatly appreciated