Exchange and Server 2008 Networking Issues
Posted on 2011-03-01
I am having a rather serious problem with my exchange 2007 server. The end result is that Outlook Anywhere, which every single one of our employees requires, fails about every 30 seconds. If I run the command iisreset /restart in command prompt it works for about 30 seconds to 1 minute tops then fails again. By fails I mean that when a user opens outlook they are repeatedly prompted for a password. Strangely enough OWA works just fine. This problem appears to be from a larger issue so I will try to explain it below. Just one last thing to add, if I run the testexchangeconnectivity.com tool when Outlook-Anywhere is failing I get the response: "
A Web exception occurred because an HTTP 401 - Unauthorized response was received from Unknown."
Just thought I would add that in. Now on to my explanation.
About 3 months ago we moved from a single server sbs 2003 environment to a dual server 2008 exchange 2007 environment. Server 2008 worked beautifully and since we had a need for a few special stand-alone servers we started using Hyper-V. At the same time I also setup network card teaming on each of my Servers. Both servers use a dual port intel Pro 1000 PT card.
One week ago I noticed that the exchange server could not access any of the network shares. I was able to use ping and nslookup to resolve the address of the file server but if I used something like "net view \\servername" or even went to run and typed \\servername or \\ipaddress I was given the standard 0x800-something error that basically stated there must a network issue check your connection. I also noticed that Group Policy was not able to apply itself correctly since there were errors stating that \\domainame\share\gpt.ini were inaccessible even though every other computer in the domain could access it.
I let it slide a few days then tried to fix the issue. This ended up wreaking havoc. I noticed that there were a ton of Hyper-V virtual switches on this server so i tried to delete them. They would not delete. Around that time we very suddenly lost network connectivity. The teaming on the network cards failed over the weekend and luckily the server had a single NIC built-in. I was able to disable the teamed NIC's and simply setup the other NIC with the correct IP information. However after doing this I started noticing strange errors in the event viewer one in particular is the NetBT Error 4321 which states:
The name "COMPUTERNAME :20" could not be registered on the interface with IP address x.x.x.x. The computer with the IP address x.x.x.x did not allow the name to be claimed by this computer.
Just an FYI both IP's with x.x.x.x are the same IP.
Also I have noticed a bunch of errors related to the World Wide Web Publishing Server and the Windows Process Activation Service which keep failing simultaneously.
At this point I do not know what to do. I am literally just trying to tread water until the weekend and blow out the exchange Server and do a complete reinstall of Server 2008 and Exchange 2007. Its not an ideal situation by any means but at this point it seems my only option unless someone can help.