I will appreciate any help on the issue of installing a flash-based website locally.
I have written an elaborate website featuring multiple flash educational mini-games, with html-based framework wrapping the whole thing up. Flash files use ExternalInterface to call functions (mostly navigation) from underlying html files.
None of the functionality requires any server-side scripting.
It all works perfectly while deployed on the web. But, one of the required deployment modes is deploying on local computer (via CD-Rom or local installation). I've made sure all the functionality is preserved in this mode.
Now, the problem is with ExternalInterface calls. Flash player's security by default blocks ExternalInterface when running local SWFs embedded in local HTML. The solution (which works) is to manually open the global security settings and add the folder containing the flash files to locally trusted list.
(i am referring to this panel: http://www.macromedia.com/support/documentation/en/flashplayer/help/settings_manager04.html
or the likes)
The question is - how can I do it programmatically, via install script that comes with the CD-Rom, and without forcing end-users changing security settings manually.
1) The flash is compiled using Flash SDK (mxmlc)
2) The flash is written in ActionScript 3 for flash 9-10 or later. Flash 9 can't run some of the resulting SWFs due to known bugs in Flash 9.
3) The flash applications use additional libraries (swf files) for resources, which they download from relative path (i.e. from local disk if installed locally). This part works fine.
4) Using Flash IDE for any part of the solution is unacceptable (I have hundreds of files, the only way to recompile them must be automated (now i rebuild them using script that runs mxmlc)
5) Solution that works on both Windows and MacOS is preferred (linux is a bonus)
Please note that the end users will be running this in browser, not on standalone flash player or any debug player.
Also, I've tried creating .cfg files in C:\WINDOWS\system32\Macrom
Trust - to no avail.
If the solution is via editing settings.sol, I will need a preferably free SDK or DLL to allow changing it programmatically.