Hassle-free live chat software re-imagined for business growth. 2 users, always free.
Scenario 4: Deploying with WSUS
Windows Server Update Services (WSUS) enables you to deploy the latest Microsoft product updates to computers running the Windows operating system. By using WSUS, you can fully manage the distribution of updates that are released through Microsoft Update to computers in your network. For general information about WSUS, see http://go.microsoft.com/fw
Before you start deploying with WSUS, you should be aware of the following:
• If your WSUS server is running Windows Server 2003, you will need to install an update to ensure that SP1 is downloaded successfully. For more information, see Knowledge Base article 938759 (http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=108519).
• If your organization is using the Service Pack Blocker Tool to block individual users from installing SP1, publishing the service pack to WSUS will automatically override the block, and SP1 will be installed.
Eventually, SP1 will sync automatically to your WSUS server as long as the server is configured to synchronize Windows Server 2008 R2 or Windows 7 service packs. Until then, use the following steps to manually import the service pack from the Microsoft Update Catalog site. The package that is installed contains both the prerequisite packages and SP1. This entire package will be downloaded to each destination computer, unlike with Windows Update, where only the components that are needed for a specific computer are downloaded.
To manually import SP1 in WSUS
1. Open the WSUS Administrator console, expand the Update Services node, and then expand the node for the WSUS server.
2. Right-click the Updates node and click Import Updates.
3. At the Microsoft Updates Catalog website, search for Windows 7 with SP1.
4. In the results, click Add to add one or more of the following updates to your basket: Windows Server 2008 R2 Service Pack 1 – Standalone (x86); Windows Server 2008 R2 Service Pack 1 – Standalone (x64); Windows Server 2008 R2 Service Pack 1 – Standalone (ia64).
5. Click View basket.
6. Confirm your selections and click Import to import these packages.
Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.
Connect with top rated Experts
21 Experts available now in Live!