Go Premium for a chance to win a PS4. Enter to Win

x
  • Status: Solved
  • Priority: Medium
  • Security: Public
  • Views: 295
  • Last Modified:

Subreports won't link to main report properly

I have a report that passes two parameters to the stored proc:

site
datefrom

This report currently does a group by site and then by internalview fields. I get output by the month as follows:

Site 10                   Jan    Feb    Mar    Apr   etc.
  Games                 3        5       2         0      
  Sports                  5        8       9         7
 Total Site 10          8        13     11       7

Site 20                   Jan    Feb    Mar    Apr   etc.
  Games                 1        5       4         3      
  Sports                  5        4       9         4
 Total Site 10          6        9      13       7

I want to do a grand total of each category of internvalview in the report footer.

                              Jan    Feb    Mar    Apr   etc.
  Games                 4         10      6         3      
  Sports                  10      12      18        11
 Gramd  Totals       14        22     24       14



Thus, I took my main report and copied it to be main-sub.rpt.  I then removed the group for site. I then did a subreport insertion and when I try to link I cannot link on site because it does not show up in the subreport.  It isn't in the report fields and it isn't in the database fields lists. I then went back and added the group back and was able to link on it.  I then deleted the group, but the totals are not working properly.

How do I accomplish this?
0
ROTRTechTeam
Asked:
ROTRTechTeam
  • 7
  • 5
1 Solution
 
ROTRTechTeamAuthor Commented:
An update to this problem:

I added two formulas to the main report that contain just the parameters. I then used these to link to the subreport. In Cyrstal IDE I get the results I expect, but when I run this from my ASP.NET GUI, the subreport has no data at all.  I've added a Word doc that has screenshots showing this situation. What do I do now? Problem-Screenshots.doc
0
 
mlmccCommented:
You solved the total issue?

Have you considered using a cross tab for the report?

Are you running from the same database?

mlmcc
0
 
ROTRTechTeamAuthor Commented:
No, I managed to get the link working, but when I run in .NET I get no data in the subreport. I had to convert from a cross-tab to a manual cross-tab because the client wants to see 13 months of data, but wants the totals on the right to be just 12 months of data. They also wanted a distinct count of members on the right for just 12 months as well.  I could not do those in a cross-tab (auto) but was able to do so in a manual cross tab.

Any idea why the data shows in the Crystal IDE but not on the web?
0
Important Lessons on Recovering from Petya

In their most recent webinar, Skyport Systems explores ways to isolate and protect critical databases to keep the core of your company safe from harm.

 
mlmccCommented:
No idea unless you have different databases.

How are you calling the report in the web version?

mlmcc
0
 
ROTRTechTeamAuthor Commented:
Alright, so I managed to get the subreprot to pass through and display data, but it seems to be displaying data from the last time the report was saved.  So if I pick a FROM date of 12/31/2010 and run the report in the IDE and then save it, you can run the report on the web and pick a FROM date of 1/31/2011 and the main report shows 1/31/2011, but the subreport shows the 12/31/2010 data. Ideas?
0
 
mlmccCommented:
Sounds like the subreport is saved with data.

How is the subreport linked to the main report?

Arer records selected based on the link?

mlmcc
0
 
ROTRTechTeamAuthor Commented:
...and I should note that this behavior is NOT present in the Crystal IDE. If I change dates there the subreprot acts like it should.
0
 
ROTRTechTeamAuthor Commented:
Attached is a Word doc with a screenshot of how the date is linked.
SubreportProblem20110303.doc
0
 
mlmccCommented:
Are those stored procedure parameters?
If so Crystal doesn't have access to the values.

mlmcc
0
 
ROTRTechTeamAuthor Commented:
Here is an update and I still need some help. I have managed to get the main report to use the selection formula, but the subreport still won't see the selection formula at all. The two reports work perfectly if I don't try to use a selection formula. They are in synch and work fine. However, when I filter the main report, the subreport still shows all records.
0
 
mlmccCommented:
When you link them are you specifying to select records based on the link?

Where is the subreport in the report?

Can you upload the report?

mlmcc
0
 
ROTRTechTeamAuthor Commented:
Well, I've solved this problem. What I did was add a parameter to the stored proc to handle the filtering directly at the SQL level. I then linked the sub-report on those parameters as well as the first two that were already there and everything is working.
0

Featured Post

Vote for the Most Valuable Expert

It’s time to recognize experts that go above and beyond with helpful solutions and engagement on site. Choose from the top experts in the Hall of Fame or on the right rail of your favorite topic page. Look for the blue “Nominate” button on their profile to vote.

  • 7
  • 5
Tackle projects and never again get stuck behind a technical roadblock.
Join Now