We have a legacy application that seems to run fine under several XP virtual machine implementations. Our purpose is to allow a user running Windows 7 32 bit or 64 bit to use our legacy product. Rewriting the product is currently taking place, but it will be some time before it is finished. This offers us the ability to use the current application on new OS's.
If anyone has experience with virutal machines, I have several questions/goals.
1. Minimal expense for the VM product.
2. Compatible with full range of hardware products, including older systems running Windows 7
3. Compatible with both 32 bit and 64 bit Windows 7
4. Ease of installation by our end users
5. Possible "thin client" installation (allow us to create a finished VM with our software installed, so the user can install in it one step)
As the discussion progresses, you guys may have some ideas, observations and goals to add that I have not thought of, or properly framed in my question.
Feel free to offier ideas, questions, or direction on this.