we have an exchange 2003 server in a clustered environment. database is extremely large and my client would not agree to a downtime for an offline defrag. database is 300gb.(yeah i know. i inherited it like that). My question is this,
1)Can i move the mailboxes temporarily,to a different store,delete the database, create a new one and move mailboxes back?
2) would this reduce the size of the DB?
3) What would be the implications ie log files, data loss etc?
4) i assume i would need to do a backup immediately after this is done?
5) Would i need to move the logs as well and would they still be useful afterwards?
6) which log files would be required if any?
Thanks a million and apologies in advance for ignorance.