Steps to replace Exchange Server in DC Role
Posted on 2011-03-03
We are preparing to migrate Exchange 2003 SP2 on Server 2003 SP2 to a new server running Exchange 2010 on Server 2008 R2.
The I.P. address used for the current Exchange server will need to be given to the new Exchange server. The reason is we use Static IP Settings on ALL of our desktop computers, and they see this I.P. as either Primary Name Server or Secondary Name Server.
We have installed and joined the NEW server to the network. We "think" we will be able to migrate the Exchange Store and plan to do this close to the GO LIVE transition.
The Exchange Server...
- has 125 Exchange Accounts
- has 125 AD users
- has 70 MB of FREE space
- is ONE OF TWO DOMAIN CONTROLLERS
- serves no other role than DOMAIN CONTROLLER and EXCHANGE SERVER
BlackBerry Enterprise with 15 ACTIVE USERS is installed on another server in this network.
What steps would you take to ensure proper DC Role Demotion, DC Role Promotion, and replacement of Exchange Role so that:
- End Users settings need to be changed as little as possible
- External and Internal DNS settings can stay the same (pointed to the same external and internal I.P.'s respectively)
- The transition can be performed over a two-day weekend
Many thanks in advance,