Solved

Exchange 2010 SP1CAS Array question

Posted on 2011-03-03
3
430 Views
Last Modified: 2012-05-11
I have 2 x Exchange 2010 CAS/HT servers installed as part of a migration from 2003-2010. One server is a Blade and the other is virtual.

I configured a CAS Array with NLB as detailed in the following site http://exchangeserverpro.com/how-to-install-an-exchange-server-2010-client-access-server-array and both nodes converged successfully. So far so good. I also configured my Outlook 2003 profile to connect to the CAS Array and received a few test emails.

The issue I'm having is that if I stop one of the nodes (assuming it's the one my Outlook is connecting to) to test the fail-over aspect of having a CAS array, Outlook loses connectivity to the Exchange server and stops receiving mail? If I restart Outlook it won't open at all until the node comes back online. Stopping the second node (the one the CAS array hasn't connected me to) has no effect and my Outlook stays up.

Is this some configuration issue that I've missed or have I not understood something about the fail-over capabilities of a CAS Array? If a node goes down will those PCs connected to that node lose connection until it's back up or are they supposed to fail-over to the other node?

I've scoured the web and can't find anything definitive so any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
0
Comment
Question by:southwestsixteen
[X]
Welcome to Experts Exchange

Add your voice to the tech community where 5M+ people just like you are talking about what matters.

  • Help others & share knowledge
  • Earn cash & points
  • Learn & ask questions
  • 2
3 Comments
 
LVL 11

Expert Comment

by:MichaelVH
ID: 35029930
With every "fail-over" there will be a slight disruption of service, but your clients should normally reconnect automatically.

Just to make sure: are you sure that you've set the array as RPCClientAccessServer for the mailboxes on the server?

Grts,

Michael
0
 
LVL 3

Accepted Solution

by:
southwestsixteen earned 0 total points
ID: 35157650
Hi MIchaelVH, thanks for your input. I had set the array as RPCClientAccessServer for the mailboxes on the server so that wasn't the issue. In the end I scrapped the Blade server and installed an additional virtual machine, configured NLB, installed Exchange and voila.
0
 
LVL 3

Author Closing Comment

by:southwestsixteen
ID: 35187307
The issue wasn't resolved by anyone. In the end I scrapped the configuration and got it working on something else.
0

Featured Post

Free Tool: Subnet Calculator

The subnet calculator helps you design networks by taking an IP address and network mask and returning information such as network, broadcast address, and host range.

One of a set of tools we're offering as a way of saying thank you for being a part of the community.

Question has a verified solution.

If you are experiencing a similar issue, please ask a related question

How to resolve IMCEAEX NDRs in Exchange or Exchange Online related to invalid X500 addresses.
In-place Upgrading Dirsync to Azure AD Connect
In this video we show how to create an Accepted Domain in Exchange 2013. We show this process by using the Exchange Admin Center. Log into Exchange Admin Center.: First we need to log into the Exchange Admin Center. Navigate to the Mail Flow >> Ac…
To show how to create a transport rule in Exchange 2013. We show this process by using the Exchange Admin Center. Log into Exchange Admin Center.: First we need to log into the Exchange Admin Center. Navigate to the Mail Flow >> Rules tab.:  To cr…

756 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

Join & Ask a Question