Crystal XI Reports not Working in 2008
Posted on 2011-03-03
I am hoping to get some input on a report problem. We have not had any luck with our IT department or the third party software vendor, although they are continuing to troubleshoot.
We are upgrading the vendors' application software version, and at the same time upgrading embedded CR XI (on a Server 2003 box) to CR 2008 (on a Server 2008 box).
The production crystal reports were copied into our test environments. That is where we found some reports would run and some would not.
The reports were all developed in XI.
They run fine in the CR XI or 2008 report writer applications.
The problem reports are "hanging" in the vendors' application.
Once they hang, you have to restart the RAS service to run reports again through the application.
Nothing is showing in the CR logs on the remote server.
We have eliminated the datasource as the issue, and it is changed at runtime by the application.
Underlying table and procedure permisssions and rights are ok.
The report server is using the standard Oracle ODBC driver.
We have tried opening a problem report and saving it in Developer 2008, but the report will still hang in the application.
The vendor can run our problem reports using the same environment version, driver, and CR embedded 2008.
There is no common thread that we can find between working and non-working reports.
Here is the curious part, I have one report that works fine. I have three "knock-offs" of that report that hang up. The modifications involved removing a prompt and hardcoding that filter value.
If I do this again, create a knock-off of the working report, just as I did with the non-working reports, it will run ok.
Because this is so hit and miss, it really seems like a permissions issue at the file level. Yet, if we look at the security settings between working and non-working reports, there is no difference.
All of the vendor out of the box reports run fine. This is imacting some, but not all, of the custom reports we have written over the past three years.
The only solution so far has been to rewrite the probelm report from scratch. We are trying to avoid having to do this for 100 plus reports.
Interested in other areas to investigate as part of our troubleshooting process.