Solved

Active Directory changes not updating

Posted on 2011-03-03
4
651 Views
Last Modified: 2012-05-11
We are running Windows Small Business Server 2003 SP2 and a new user that I created in AD can't log on.  It looks like my user was created correctly, but AD is not updating something.

When I try and log on I get the message "The system could not log you on.  Make sure your User name and domain are correct, then type your password again.  Letters in passwords must be typed using the correct case" as if they didn't exist.

I created the new user by copying a user that had been disabled, but I know I unchecked the box during the copy for User is Disabled.

Then I deleted the new user and copied from an existing user that was not disabled and got the same message as if the account didn't exist.

Then I took a user account that was disabled, re-enabled it and set a new password and tried to log in with that, but it says "Your account has been disabled.  Please see your system administrator"

Any ideas as to what might be going on?
0
Comment
Question by:LogisticsOne
[X]
Welcome to Experts Exchange

Add your voice to the tech community where 5M+ people just like you are talking about what matters.

  • Help others & share knowledge
  • Earn cash & points
  • Learn & ask questions
  • 2
  • 2
4 Comments
 
LVL 21

Expert Comment

by:snusgubben
ID: 35030984
A dcdiag is alway a good place to start.
0
 
LVL 1

Author Comment

by:LogisticsOne
ID: 35031698
Just did the dcdiag.  Received the following info:
---------------------------------
Doing primary tests

   Testing server: Default-First-Site-Name\PRISRVR
      Starting test: Replications
         [Replications Check,PRISRVR] A recent replication attempt failed:
            From BKUPSRVR to PRISRVR
            Naming Context: DC=XXXXXXXXXXX,DC=local
            The replication generated an error (8614):
            The Active Directory cannot replicate with this server because the t
ime since the last replication with this server has exceeded the tombstone lifet
ime.
            The failure occurred at 2011-03-03 16:21:18.
            The last success occurred at 2010-08-17 11:14:04.
            327500 failures have occurred since the last success.
         REPLICATION-RECEIVED LATENCY WARNING
         PRISRVR:  Current time is 2011-03-03 16:23:02.
            DC=XXXXXXXXXX,DC=local
               Last replication recieved from BKUPSRVR at 2009-01-01 11:14:04.
               WARNING:  This latency is over the Tombstone Lifetime of 60 days!
------------------------------------------
Now the weird thing is that we disabled a user last friday and that user was successfully disabled on both the primary and backup Doman controllers.  We have also created users within the past month and had no problems (and both DC have the same user information, except for this most recently added user), so I don't know if the above error is the true problem, it's a red herring, or it's indicative of a bigger issue that has all of a sudden cropped up.
0
 
LVL 21

Accepted Solution

by:
snusgubben earned 500 total points
ID: 35031808
When a DC becomes tombstoned it will not replicate. Simple as that.

I would recomend you to clean out the tombstoned DC, rebuild it and add it back in as a DC. Then verify that you don't have any DNS/communication issues.

dcpromo /forceremoval (on the tombstoned DC. It will be placed in a workgroup)

Run a metadata cleanup on the remaining DC to remove the tombstoned DC out of you domain:

http://www.petri.co.il/delete_failed_dcs_from_ad.htm
0
 
LVL 1

Author Comment

by:LogisticsOne
ID: 35059950
The question is somewhat misleading, our real problem is we have our main SBS and a backup domain controller on another server and they stopped communicating.  

For this one, we ended up calling Microsoft and I wasn't in on the repair but the technician demoted our backup DC, did something to it and then added it back in. Our guy who actually worked on it with the tech apparently logged the tech into his machine and went home so I don't know the details and he doesn't either, but essentially we paid Microsoft $300 to pretty much do what snusgubben recommended.
0

Featured Post

Salesforce Made Easy to Use

On-screen guidance at the moment of need enables you & your employees to focus on the core, you can now boost your adoption rates swiftly and simply with one easy tool.

Question has a verified solution.

If you are experiencing a similar issue, please ask a related question

Did you know that more than 4 billion data records have been recorded as lost or stolen since 2013? It was a staggering number brought to our attention during last week’s ManageEngine webinar, where attendees received a comprehensive look at the ma…
Recently, Microsoft released a best-practice guide for securing Active Directory. It's a whopping 300+ pages long. Those of us tasked with securing our company’s databases and systems would, ideally, have time to devote to learning the ins and outs…
Attackers love to prey on accounts that have privileges. Reducing privileged accounts and protecting privileged accounts therefore is paramount. Users, groups, and service accounts need to be protected to help protect the entire Active Directory …
This video shows how to use Hyena, from SystemTools Software, to update 100 user accounts from an external text file. View in 1080p for best video quality.

695 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

Join & Ask a Question