OK. Here's a weird one. I have a customer running Windows 2008 SBS and they have 6 (six) 500GB External Hard Drives from LaCie. 3 of the drives work just fine in the server, but 3 do not, they cause explorer/disk manager/etc to lockup until the drive is removed from the system and the light on the drive blinks steadily/fast. Those same 3 problematic drives work flawlessly in any other computer I've tried them on. I can remove and create partitions, copy and delete files, etc. Yet, when I put them back in the server, they lockup. I know the drive letters of the 3 bad drives are still F: because it wants to format F: when I unplug the drive. I changed the drive letter of the other three working drives to Z: and they all three show up as Z: even though I only changed one of them. Yet, the three "non-working" drives still try and load in as F: I even tried removing the NTFS partition from one drive in hopes that 2008 would allow it onto the system, but that also did not work.
Update - the drive that I removed the NTFS partition on, showed up while I was typing this question. I formatted it NTFS as Z: and it was showing up. After turning it off and back on, it did the lockup again, but while typing this update came up and asked me to format the Z: drive. I did that to no avail. It also briefly prompted me that the device was operating at USB 1.1, but all of the ports are USB 2.0, I've tried them all front and back, and it's a Lenovo Server right at a year old. Drives worked fine until around August of last year.