We just upgraded our block of static IPs from our ISP, meaning changing all of our ANAME and DNS settings. I made all of the changes that I have made before when we switched ISPs, but something is still going wrong. Here is the chain of our network connection:
ISP (CBeyond) > Cisco IAD (hosted locally, controlled by CBeyond) > SonicWall Firewall > Servers, workstations, etc.
The changes to the IAD were made, as well as all of the necessary changes to the SonicWall. I updated all of the ANAMEs on our DNS provider for our internal servers (Doteasy), as well as the DNS settings on our servers. The two servers that we currently have static IPs assigned to are for Exchange 2007 running 2003 R2 and a server running 2008 R1 for other services.
Somewhere within our setup, it appears that the old static IPs are present, and it is preventing certain features to function. If I use a new static IP to access our TS Web App from my web browser, it will point to one of our old IPs. However, I can use RDC to connect to the server using the same new IP address. Also, doing an IP Traceroute for either of these servers will timeout after a few hops, and I cannot ping the servers either.
I apologize if I'm being too vague with descriptions, but I don't know how much information I should give out about our site on these boards.