European characters are not displaying properly:
1. the characters are correct in the MySQL table
2. Field collation is set to utf8_general_ci
3. PHP page contains
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8" />
Have tried inserting into the PHP:
1. mysql_query("SET NAMES utf8");
2. mysql_query("SET CHARACTER SET utf8");
3. mysql_query("SET CHARACTER_SET_RESULTS=NULL");
Can get the characters to show on the local server with line 3 inserted; but not when uploaded to the remote server. Can see no explaining differences on the phpinfo page.
Tearing hair out.