SBS 2008 DNS won't forward
Posted on 2011-03-06
OK, I'm getting realy desperate now - my client starts work in 4 or 5 hours, I'm 500 miles away from his shiny new SBS 2008 Server and the DNS has died!
Everything was fine - the new SBS 2008 server has been running on a seperate sub-net from the old SBS 2003 that it is replacing for a couple of weeks to prove stability.
Email has been flowing through exchange on the new box for a week (the 10 or so clients have been temporarily running OWA to deal with their their mail). This weekend saw the big switch-over.
Initially I moved one of the client workstations onto the SBS 2008 subnet (192.168.12.xx) to prove that the new PDC would accept clients ok and all was well - exchange hooked up, intrnet access was fine, the user's profile came across nicely using Forensit's Profile Wizard.
Before moving any more clients over, I decided to verify that the Company NAS device (a 4TB Buffalo Terastation) was going to play nicely as I've had problems with them before and sure enough it wouldn't let me reconfigure its LAN settings at all. Every user has their data files on this box and they all need access to it to do their jobs.
So I decided that rather than move all 10 PCs and the Terastation from their 192.168.8.xx subnet over to the new 192.168.12.xx range, I would simply drop the SBS 2008 box onto 192.168.8.2, reconfigure the Netgear Firewall for a LAN address of 192.168.8.1 and away we should go. (previously the Netgear had run a multi-homed "LAN" address in the companies public IP range as the SBS 2003 box was in the old 2 NIC configuration. (Public IP-->SBS 2003-->192.168.8.100)
With me so far?
I ran the SBS 2008 Connect to the Internet wizard, reconfigured the Firewall to route my services from the public IP space to the SBS 2008 Box (email, RWW, OWA, Remote Admin etc), re-booted everything, sat back and hoped for the best.
That was about 8 hours ago!
Everything came back on-line nicely but the SBS 2008 box flatly refuses to talk to the internet - no email, no remote admin, no RDP, no IIS, no nothing.
I can still get at the box with Radmin via the old server (with its DHCP & DNS Disabled) and the only fault I can see (besides the total lack of traffic to or from the internet, is that the DNS forwarders which point to the ISPs DNS Servers will not Validate - they just time out. Root hints are set up too but the box won't resolve ANY external DNS queries.
I am no DNS expert (it normally just works for me) so I am asking for someone's help in diagnosing this before 07:30 today! ( it's now 03:15)
Help - please.