Exchange 2003 to 2010 migration
Posted on 2011-03-07
I am migrating our Exchange 2003 to 2010. We are a small company with 125 mailboxes, very few Public Folders. Clients use Outllook 2003, 2007, POP. Some Outlook Clients use RPC/HTTP. Also use OWA.
Existing: Exchange 2003 SP2 (Ver 6.5 build 7638.2) Windows Server 2003 R2 SP2
New System: New Hardware, Windows 2008
1 Domain, with DC's on Windows 2003 SP2. Firewalled, Internal Cert Server with Root Certificates loaded on clients systems as deployed.
Question1: Will this plan work?
1. After Backups, Install new Server and Exchange
2. Move Mailboxes and Public Folders.
3. Change Firewall redirects to new server.
4. Change Internal DNS to point to new server
5. Leave Old Exchange Server up for a few weeks then uninstall.
From all I have read this should be fine but I am real nervous about this move.
Thanks for any reply.