Solved

Default page for site suddenly gives http error

Posted on 2011-03-08
2
531 Views
Last Modified: 2012-05-11
I had a subsite that was working fine.  Today when we tried to acess it came up with an http error.  I noticed that the url was missing /default.aspx at the end.  When I typed this in the page came up fine but it looked as if it had been changed back to the orginal template.

How can I change the page to where it is pointing to the default.aspx  for this site?
0
Comment
Question by:swtjen1
[X]
Welcome to Experts Exchange

Add your voice to the tech community where 5M+ people just like you are talking about what matters.

  • Help others & share knowledge
  • Earn cash & points
  • Learn & ask questions
2 Comments
 
LVL 6

Accepted Solution

by:
ThatSharepointGuy earned 500 total points
ID: 35073446
The first thing I would recommend trying is to check the log files.
c:\program files\common files\microsoft shared\web server extensions\14\logs
Sort it by date and look at the log.  If you have a correlation ID then use that, but if not just poke around and see what is going on.  Look at your clock, browse to the page, and then close/open the logs in Notepad again to see what's going on.

Better yet, you can install ULS Viewer (http://archive.msdn.microsoft.com/ULSViewer), which after someone here on E.E. explained to me, I have been using it ever since!!!

If you cannot find anything in the logs, you could always try to re-run products and technologies wizard, and see if that fixes the issue.  

In SharePoint 2010,  you can go to the specific site and change the site name, but I don't think this will solve what the problem is (just for reference: https://sharepointserver/sitecollection/subsite/_layouts/prjsetng.aspx).

You could also try resetting that site back to the site definition by adding "/_layouts/reghost.aspx" to the end of the url (so, https://mysharepointserver/sitecollection/brokensite/_layouts/reghost.aspx) and reset it.

Let me know if any of those work and we'll see what's going on.
0
 

Author Comment

by:swtjen1
ID: 35074827
Well I looked at the logs and it says that it is a HTTP 500 internal server error?  

Error:  Authentication 1.  [httpacchelper.cxx:657]  d:\office\source\search\native\gather\protocols\http\httpacchelper.cxx

Its weird because it is only one site doing this.  

I did manage to fix the menu in designer where it points to the right page however...if your in the site and click on the site name you will still be directed to the error page.
0

Featured Post

On Demand Webinar: Networking for the Cloud Era

Ready to improve network connectivity? Watch this webinar to learn how SD-WANs and a one-click instant connect tool can boost provisions, deployment, and management of your cloud connection.

Question has a verified solution.

If you are experiencing a similar issue, please ask a related question

Last week I faced a strange issue recently, i have deployed SharePoint 2003 servers for one project and one of the requirements was to open SharePoint site from same server. when i was trying to open site from the same server i was getting authentic…
Summary In SharePoint 2010 it is easy to create custom color themes to jazz up a site. Theme colors can also be created in PowerPoint 2010 with a few clicks. But how do the chosen colors actually look in the SharePoint site? The attached PowerPoint…
In this video, viewers will be given step by step instructions on adjusting mouse, pointer and cursor visibility in Microsoft Windows 10. The video seeks to educate those who are struggling with the new Windows 10 Graphical User Interface. Change Cu…
In this video we outline the Physical Segments view of NetCrunch network monitor. By following this brief how-to video, you will be able to learn how NetCrunch visualizes your network, how granular is the information collected, as well as where to f…

636 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

Join & Ask a Question