licensing for new windows server 2008

Posted on 2011-03-08
Last Modified: 2012-05-11
This is a question related to MS licensing. Below is our current specs:

5 windows server 2003 std.
70 windows xp/7 workstations.
100 windows server 2003 CALs
1 external connector license(website pulls data from a database server)

I'm upgrading one of servers(MS SQL 2005 installed) to windows server 2008 std and MS SQL 2008.

In this case, what licenses do I have to purchase?

-1 windows server 2008 std server license
-100 windows server 2008 CALs (need to have another new 100 CALs for 2008?)
-1 windows server external connector (need to have another new external connector for 2008?)

Please advise

Question by:crcsupport
Welcome to Experts Exchange

Add your voice to the tech community where 5M+ people just like you are talking about what matters.

  • Help others & share knowledge
  • Earn cash & points
  • Learn & ask questions
  • 3
  • 2

Author Comment

ID: 35080008
Licenseing FAQ in MS website:

For external connector, the FAQ describes;
Q.  Who qualifies as an External User?  


An external user is a person who is not an employee, or similar personnel of the company or its affiliates, and is not someone to whom you provide hosted services using the server software.

We host a website connected to a database.

Then, is an anonymous user or a logged in user qualified as a external user?
How many external connectors do I need? 1 or 2(web server and sql server)?


Expert Comment

ID: 35086087

I would suggest following:

-1 windows server 2008 std server license - yes
- 70 windows server 2008 CALs  - why 100 CALs since you have only 70 workstations?
- 1 windows server 2008 external connector - since it's version specific

Author Comment

ID: 35096908
so basically, we have to purchase everything. holy sxxx

Author Comment

ID: 35096917
Then, is an anonymous user or a logged in user qualified as a external user?
How many external connectors do I need? 1 or 2(web server and sql server)?

Accepted Solution

matyke earned 500 total points
ID: 35097077
External user is based not on authenticated or not, but on relation to your company.

External connector is needed for every accessed server (directly or indirectly), so in our case you need 2 licences for both web and sql server

Featured Post

Free Tool: Path Explorer

An intuitive utility to help find the CSS path to UI elements on a webpage. These paths are used frequently in a variety of front-end development and QA automation tasks.

One of a set of tools we're offering as a way of saying thank you for being a part of the community.

Question has a verified solution.

If you are experiencing a similar issue, please ask a related question

Suggested Solutions

Scenario: Your operations manager has discovered an anomaly in your security system. The business will start to suffer within 15 minutes if it is a major IT incident. What should she do? We have 6 recommendations for managing major incidents (https:…
Dramatic changes are revolutionizing how we build and use technology. Every company is automating, digitizing, and modernizing operations. We need a better, more connected way to work together as teams so we can harness the insights from our system…
This tutorial will show how to push an installation of Backup Exec to an additional server in both 2012 and 2014 versions of the software. Click on the Backup Exec button in the upper left corner. From here, select Installation and Licensing, then I…
This tutorial will walk an individual through the process of transferring the five major, necessary Active Directory Roles, commonly referred to as the FSMO roles to another domain controller. Log onto the new domain controller with a user account t…

734 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

Join & Ask a Question