Go Premium for a chance to win a PS4. Enter to Win


The Microsoft Exchange RPC Client Access service entered the stopped state

Posted on 2011-03-09
Medium Priority
Last Modified: 2012-05-11
We're having a problem with one of our Exchange 2010 Standard servers, which holds all of the roles. It's set up with a basic DAG and a 2nd Exchange 2010 server that also holds all of the roles in a basic failover, which is not having any problems. This is our primary mail server that all of our clients connect to.

For the last two weeks the Microsoft Exchange RPC Client Access service is shutting down, which disconnects everyone from Outlook until we restart it. It's not crashing, the event log shows a graceful shutdown of the service (See event log at end of post).

There aren't any events near the times that it shuts down that point to why and it happens at different times throughout the day, so I'm running out of ideas.
Here are the recent times/dates to give you an idea:

3/9 - 9:28 am and 12:01 am
3/8 - 9:29 am and 8:18 am
3/7 - 4:11 pm
3/1 - 10:31 am and 8:49 am
2/28 - 3:41 pm and 2:20 pm

Does anyone have any thoughts on where to look for the reason the service is shutting down?

Event properties in the System log:
Log Name:      System
Source:        Service Control Manager
Date:          3/9/2011 9:28:24 AM
Event ID:      7036
Task Category: None
Level:         Information
Keywords:      Classic
User:          N/A
Computer:     Servername.Internal.FQDN
The Microsoft Exchange RPC Client Access service entered the stopped state.
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
    <Provider Name="Service Control Manager" Guid="{555908d1-a6d7-4695-8e1e-26931d2012f4}" EventSourceName="Service Control Manager" />
    <EventID Qualifiers="16384">7036</EventID>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2011-03-09T15:28:24.698231100Z" />
    <Correlation />
    <Execution ProcessID="772" ThreadID="31324" />
    <Security />
    <Data Name="param1">Microsoft Exchange RPC Client Access</Data>
    <Data Name="param2">stopped</Data>

Question by:sfcanderson
LVL 32

Expert Comment

ID: 35121763
You might want to look at the memory utilization on the RPC Client Access service throughout the day
You may also want to enable auditing on that server for starting and stopping services

If you have antivirus software running, verify that it has the appropriate exclusions for Exchange and IIS files

Accepted Solution

Hensdogg earned 2000 total points
ID: 35380072
There is a confirmed memory leak in the RPCClientAccessService that causes it to continue using more memory, presumably until it runs out which is why it might be shutting down for you.

It is supposed to be fixed in SP1 Rollup3, which I have installed, but I still see it happening.

Author Closing Comment

ID: 35760965
Good find! After installing the second version of RU 3 the problem seems go have gone away.

Featured Post

Free Tool: Subnet Calculator

The subnet calculator helps you design networks by taking an IP address and network mask and returning information such as network, broadcast address, and host range.

One of a set of tools we're offering as a way of saying thank you for being a part of the community.

Question has a verified solution.

If you are experiencing a similar issue, please ask a related question

Want to know how to use Exchange Server Eseutil command? Go through this article as it gives you the know-how.
This month, Experts Exchange sat down with resident SQL expert, Jim Horn, for an in-depth look into the makings of a successful career in SQL.
To show how to create a transport rule in Exchange 2013. We show this process by using the Exchange Admin Center. Log into Exchange Admin Center.: First we need to log into the Exchange Admin Center. Navigate to the Mail Flow >> Rules tab.:  To cr…
Exchange organizations may use the Journaling Agent of the Transport Service to archive messages going through Exchange. However, if the Transport Service is integrated with some email content management application (such as an anti-spam), the admin…
Suggested Courses

877 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

Join & Ask a Question