Our vSphere DR cluster is being moved into a new network. I am looking for advice as to the best sequence to make this happen. The DR site consists of 3 x ESX 4.0 servers, 1 vCenter server and 4 active VMs. Each server has 4 network cables connected to it for a total of 12 network cables dedicated to the cluster. There is only 1 distributed vSwitch used by all 3 ESX servers.
My tentative sequence is
1. vMotion VMs off one ESX server.
2. Put server into maintenance mode.
3. Via the vCenter server change the ESX server's IP address to new network. (vConsole will loose connection)
4. Replace old network Cat 5 cables with new network Cat 5 cables
5. Reestablish vCenter connection to ESX server.
6. Continue with 2nd and 3rd ESX server.
7. Change vCenter server's IP address to new network.
8. Change active VM's IP address to new network.
9. Rename distributed switch. The old network is part of the vSwitch's name.
10. Update DNS.