Solved

Help with Conditional Formatting in Excel 2010

Posted on 2011-03-10
5
219 Views
Last Modified: 2012-05-11
Hello:

I am trying to get some conditional formating to work and I must be missing something.  I have 2 columns with % in them.  They want to add the 2 columns together and then highlight the top 3 in green.  BUT they don't want the total of the 2 % to show only the first 2 columns.

I didn't explain that very well, let me give an example:

Say this row is one of the top 3:

Row  35.4%  35.6%       The total would be 71% but they want the 35.4% and 35.6% to be shaded green and the 71% would just be a calculation used to determine the top 3.

I am attaching a file as an example.  It hopefuly makes more sense.

Thank you in advance.




 exampleTop3.xlsx
0
Comment
Question by:MeowserM
[X]
Welcome to Experts Exchange

Add your voice to the tech community where 5M+ people just like you are talking about what matters.

  • Help others & share knowledge
  • Earn cash & points
  • Learn & ask questions
  • 3
  • 2
5 Comments
 
LVL 50

Accepted Solution

by:
barry houdini earned 500 total points
ID: 35095355
Hello MeowserM,

I selected the whole range A1:B21 and then used this formula in conditional formatting

=$A1+$B1>=LARGE(IF(ISNUMBER($A$1:$A$21+$B$1:$B$21),$A$1:$A$21+$B$1:$B$21),3)

see attached

regards, barry
26877400.xlsx
0
 

Author Comment

by:MeowserM
ID: 35095396
Barry -

You're awesome.  I didn't know the Large formula.

Thank you Thank you Thank you!

0
 

Author Closing Comment

by:MeowserM
ID: 35095397
Thanks again
0
 
LVL 50

Expert Comment

by:barry houdini
ID: 35095418
No problem....

.....Oh, and I didn't mean to keep column G in there - that was just for testing purposes so you can delete that - only requires formula in conditional formatting....

barry
0
 

Author Comment

by:MeowserM
ID: 35097448
yes I didn't keep column G in the real spreadsheet.  

Much appreciated.
0

Featured Post

MS Dynamics Made Instantly Simpler

Make Your Microsoft Dynamics Investment Count  & Drastically Decrease Training Time by Providing Intuitive Step-By-Step WalkThru Tutorials.

Question has a verified solution.

If you are experiencing a similar issue, please ask a related question

Introduction This Article briefly covers methods of calculating the NPV and IRR variants in Excel as well as the limitations in calculating and interpreting IRR results. Paraphrasing Richard Shockley, author of my favourite finance reference tex…
This article describes how you can use Custom Document Properties to store settings and other information in your workbook so that they will be available the next time you open the workbook.
The viewer will learn how to create a normally distributed random variable in Excel, use a normal distribution to simulate the return on an investment over a period of years, Create a Monte Carlo simulation using a normal random variable, and calcul…
The viewer will learn how to create two correlated normally distributed random variables in Excel, use a normal distribution to simulate the return on different levels of investment in each of the two funds over a period of ten years, and, create a …

634 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

Join & Ask a Question