Avatar of TownTalk
TownTalk
Flag for United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland asked on

Access 2010 Function not available error

This is a database application that I recently updated from Access 2000 to Access 2010.

I'm got the retail version of Access installed on our 64 bit 2008 server and from there i'm publishing the .ACCDE file to distribute to the client pc's.

Since I did the upgrade from Access 2000, the client programs are throwing up an error:

Function is not available in query expression left$(..........

On the server i am not getting any error.

One of the clients has also got the retail version of 2010. If he opens the .ACCDB and publishes the .ACCDE then there is also no error. So the only time the error occurs is when a client opens the .ACCDE which was published from the server.

Edit: I've just been told that when the clients use a .accde file that was compiled on the 32bit client, it runs much faster

Is this a 32/64 bit issue? Or is there another reason? Before anyone asks, I've imported all the objects into a fresh .accdb and still got the same problem.
Microsoft Access

Avatar of undefined
Last Comment
peter57r

8/22/2022 - Mon
ASKER CERTIFIED SOLUTION
Jim Dettman (EE MVE)

THIS SOLUTION ONLY AVAILABLE TO MEMBERS.
View this solution by signing up for a free trial.
Members can start a 7-Day free trial and enjoy unlimited access to the platform.
See Pricing Options
Start Free Trial
GET A PERSONALIZED SOLUTION
Ask your own question & get feedback from real experts
Find out why thousands trust the EE community with their toughest problems.
peter57r

The problem  is that your config does not match your customer's and when you create a mde/accde file the paths to object libraries are hard code to the paths on the machine where the mde/accde is created.

It's a 32/64 bit issue in that the paths for 32bit apps running on 64bit windows are all different to the paths on 32bit windows.

I think you will have to consider issuing an accdb file to overcome this.



TownTalk

ASKER
It's the 32 bit version of Access I installed on the server. When the client pc openend the .accdb for the first time, it sat there for a moment saying that it was looking for MSADOX.DLL, but eventually when it loaded I checked the references and everything was correctly referenced.

I can see now that on the server, the path for several of the references starts off C:\Program Files (x86)\......

So obviously the clients will not see this path. So I hit on the idea of putting a copy of all the relevent library files on the network share where the database back end is stored, and referencing them from there. Unfortunately, when I try to look at the file names in the references dialog box, the path names are too long and I cant see the name of the actual file.

Is there a way I can find out the filenames involved?

TownTalk

ASKER
I could see some of the shorter filepaths. So I placed a copy of the file on the network share. Then I went into  Tools -> references and tried to browse to it. I was surprised to see that it snaps back to the original location whenever I try to change it.
This is the best money I have ever spent. I cannot not tell you how many times these folks have saved my bacon. I learn so much from the contributors.
rwheeler23
SOLUTION
peter57r

THIS SOLUTION ONLY AVAILABLE TO MEMBERS.
View this solution by signing up for a free trial.
Members can start a 7-Day free trial and enjoy unlimited access to the platform.
See Pricing Options
Start Free Trial
GET A PERSONALIZED SOLUTION
Ask your own question & get feedback from real experts
Find out why thousands trust the EE community with their toughest problems.