I'm experiencing a strange problem opening a set of applications on a file server. In brief, opening the app takes a long time. But then, if I happen to be copying a file (a large one), and only while I'm copying the file from that same network server, the same application now opens in half the time. What gives?
- Windows 2008 Server Standard, Windows XP SP3 etc. etc. clients.
- Symantec Endpoint Security 11.0.6a (almost be the latest release).
- Hamachi VPN2 on the server and workstation(s).
- Gigabit network (seems to be operating at gigabit speed).
- The application in question is Dentrix (a dental practice management software). The executable is on the local C: drive, while the *flat* data files reside on a shared network location. No known access rights issues.
- It appears like once accessed, file access is "normal". Can't be 100% sure of this though because I have nothing to compare it to.
- Local access to the same Dentrix app on the server alone is fast (faster than the "fast" achieved while copying the large file).
- The difference in access speed is considerable: clearly 50% faster (5-6 seconds vs. 13 seconds). Local access on the server: 3 seconds.
- The server and workstation are fast (quad core), with plenty of processing power, including RAM.
- DNS is running on server, and forwards internet requests to 22.214.171.124 (AT&T). No obvious problems. Hosts file is also configured on workstations 192.168.169.3 = server.domain.local as well as LMHosts 192.168.169.3 - server
- Workstations have DNS set to just the internal DNS server (previously had that plus 126.96.36.199).
- All static IPs.
- Offline files enabled to one of the server shared folders, but not to the Dentrix Data folder (obviously accessed by several other workstations).
What I tried:
- Turned off (smc -stop) antivirus on both workstation and server.
- Turned off Hamachi VPN (on workstation only).
- Made changes to DNS (Hosts was not initially configured).
I ran into this discovery by accident, and I have always wondered why this application takes so long to open. What am I missing?????