I have been researching to see if we could upgrade our ESX 4.0 hosts to the newest version 4.1 U1.
I checked to see if our hardware would be compatible with 4.4 U1.
They are. We have (2) PowerEdge 2950III and (2) PowerEdge R710.
I was told to update the Bios and firmware to the latest versions.
I was told to turn on VT with in the BIOS.
Here are my questions:
1. If we upgraded to 4.1 U1, would the ESXi servers only be able to host 64-bit VMs or would I be able to migrate back my 32-bit VMs.
2. Is it better to upgrade or to do a clean install?
3. I have already download Esxi 4.1 U1 and vsphere 4.U1 Installable, which it downloaded an iso image. Is this what I am to download to do the upgrade?
4. What is the best way to upgrade from ESX 4.0 32-bit to Esxi 4.1 U1 64-bit?
5. If I turned on the VT within BIOS, using Esx 4.0, would I be able to host existing 32-bit and create 64-bit virtual machines?