• Status: Solved
  • Priority: Medium
  • Security: Public
  • Views: 469
  • Last Modified:

email relay works on XP but not on Windows 7

We have a software package that uses email relay to send out receipts.  We set up the process once in the software package and then just make sure the select few IP addresses are added to Relay in Exchange.  This process has worked well for several years using XP machines.  We have just started using some Windows 7 machines and the email relay doesn't work on them.  I've added their IP addresses to Relay in Exchange, but they still don't work.  In fact one PC kept its static IP and the other one got a new IP address.  I removed and added both back in.  Is there something that needs to be done on the Win 7 side to make this work??  
0
cindyfiller
Asked:
cindyfiller
  • 2
  • 2
1 Solution
 
Glen KnightCommented:
There's no reason why this shouldn't work, but you might want to check the binding order of the network card.

So goto Change Adapter Settings.  Activate the hidden menu by pressing the ALT button.  Under Advanced select Advanced Settings.  Under the network card that is being used move IPv4 to the top of both lists.
0
 
Andrej PirmanCommented:
Try diagnostics via command prompt:
Run CMD
Then type TELNET
New command prompt shows up. Type:
o 192.168.1.10 25  (this is "o" like OPEN, then IP of Exchange server, then port 25)
Exchange server should respond with something like this:
220 SERVER.domain.local Microsoft ESMTP MAIL Service ready at

If you get such a response, then e-mail settings on client are wrong. Maybe authentication, IP, port or else.
But if your exchange does not respond, then look into Win7 firewall and open port 25/SMTP for local domain network.
0
 
Andrej PirmanCommented:
Oh yes...and check, if your Win7 client is in WORK or DOMAIN network (under "network and Sharing Center", Type of netowork. It should NOT be PRIVATE or HOME!
0
 
cindyfillerAuthor Commented:
Everything was listed ok in the advanced settings so I tried something else and it appears to have worked.  Under the local area connection properties I unchecked the internet protocol version 6.  I had originally tried the static ip there and it didn't work so I moved it down to the ipv4.  Your information led me to this idea so thanks a million.  It was the fastest response I've ever gotten and really helped!!!
0
 
Glen KnightCommented:
Excllent, glad it worked out ;)
0

Featured Post

Making Bulk Changes to Active Directory

Watch this video to see how easy it is to make mass changes to Active Directory from an external text file without using complicated scripts.

  • 2
  • 2
Tackle projects and never again get stuck behind a technical roadblock.
Join Now