Solved

MS Access 2007 / MS SharePoint:  “You can’t assign a value to this object.”

Posted on 2011-03-11
4
356 Views
Last Modified: 2012-08-13
I recently split my MS Access 2007 database using SharePoint as my back end and MS Access as my front end.  Initially, everything seemed to work perfectly; however, I have noticed that for some reason I am having problems with the records/forms locking.  For instance, I have a main form I use for entering information.  From that form I have a button that will open a secondary form which the user selects options, which are then entered into a textbox on the main.  I have done this a million times on MS Access, but since splitting the db for some reason I keep getting an error stating that “you can’t assign a value to this object.”

This is driving me insane.  Please help.

Thank you
0
Comment
Question by:cgraziano
[X]
Welcome to Experts Exchange

Add your voice to the tech community where 5M+ people just like you are talking about what matters.

  • Help others & share knowledge
  • Earn cash & points
  • Learn & ask questions
  • 3
4 Comments
 
LVL 85
ID: 35110661
The error means exactly what it says. Can you determine what "object" the error refers to? What exactly is happening when you get the error? By that, I mean is the user clicking a button, entering text, etc etc.

FWIW, SharePoint is not really a great platform for Access (or any relational database for that matter). It's getting much better, and support for SP in Access 2010 is a HUGE improvement over 2007.
0
 

Accepted Solution

by:
cgraziano earned 0 total points
ID: 35110764
Thank.  To answer your question, I have a main form I use for entering information.  From that form I have a button that will open a secondary form which the user selects options.  The user then pushes a button on the secondary form, which then enters the information into a textbox on the main.  Thats when I get the error.  

I was just recently playing around and form and remembered the Record Locks property.  I changed the field from "Edited Records" to "No Locks".  This seems to have fixed the problem.
0
 

Author Comment

by:cgraziano
ID: 35212125
Thank you
0
 

Author Closing Comment

by:cgraziano
ID: 35239191
Changing the Records Lock property did the trick.
0

Featured Post

Simplifying Server Workload Migrations

This use case outlines the migration challenges that organizations face and how the Acronis AnyData Engine supports physical-to-physical (P2P), physical-to-virtual (P2V), virtual to physical (V2P), and cross-virtual (V2V) migration scenarios to address these challenges.

Question has a verified solution.

If you are experiencing a similar issue, please ask a related question

Preparing an email is something we should all take special care with – especially when the email is for somebody you may not know very well. The pressures of everyday working life stacked with a hectic office environment can make this a real challen…
This article describes two methods for creating a combo box that can be used to add new items to the row source -- one for simple lookup tables, and one for a more complex row source where the new item needs data for several fields.
Basics of query design. Shows you how to construct a simple query by adding tables, perform joins, defining output columns, perform sorting, and apply criteria.
With Microsoft Access, learn how to specify relationships between tables and set various options on the relationship. Add the tables: Create the relationship: Decide if you’re going to set referential integrity: Decide if you want cascade upda…
Suggested Courses

630 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

Join & Ask a Question