Initial loading of network folder
Posted on 2011-03-11
I'll keep this as simple as possible.
I have a home network, 4-5 desktops/laptops all running windows 7, hooked up on a sitecom switch which is hooked on the modem/router.
I have a mapped network drive of a share on one of the desktops. Opening and navigating works fine, except when the folder contains large amounts of files (e.g. 1000 images). It takes a while before loading is complete. Now this isn't much of a problem as the 'delay' seems to be gone on subsequent subfolder clicks and returns, however when using a browser or any other app with a 'save dialog' this delay seems to be there every time. When I use firefox for instance and try to save a file into this folder the saving dialog comes up pretty quickly but when I click the save button it just halts for a random number of seconds, up to 30 seconds. Obviously this is very annoying.
- This is happening in multiple apps, including firefox, chrome and some other with a save dialog.
- When copying a file from the mapped network drive, speed is around 10-13mb/sec, which won't get much higher as it's a 100mbit network.
- I have tried to connect the desktops directly to the router, bypassing the switch, had no effect.
- Router/modem has been replaced yesterday. Different brand. No difference.
- Saving to folders with few files causes no delay.
- Using mapped drive or directly through the network icon makes no difference.
- Disabling kaspersky on both the local pc and the network pc had no effect.
- Network is wired. Wireless is disabled.
- There are no 'broken' mapped network drives (as suggested many times on my search via google)
Any idea's on what could cause this and how I can fix it?