Solved

EMachine t2865

Posted on 2011-03-11
Last Modified: 2012-05-11
I replaced the psu but nothing comes up on the screen and have to hold the power button to turn it off. when i installed the psu it kept telling me that the disk drive cannot or did not boot but i was already connected. SO at first it would display but then it would not. What can the problem be?
Comment
Question by:lilsleep12
7 Comments

LVL 23

Expert Comment

by:edbedb
ID: 35115545
What was the reason for changing the PSU?

Did you replace it with a new one?

LVL 14

Expert Comment

by:Don Thomson
ID: 35115629
If your Emachines has the Bestec 250 Watt PSU, your problem is most likely to be a bad PSU ... AND... a bad motherboard. If your PSU is the Bestec 300 Watt unit, you might be very lucky and have only a bad PSU. The 300 watters don't seem to be as lethal to Mobos when they fail. However, the early Emachines with certain Tri-Gem mobos have bad capacitors in the Mobo, and sometimes the failure seems to happen in reverse, whereas the mobo fails and takes out the PSU along with it. In any event, look for the model of the PSU and also for any damage to the motherboard capacitors before you try substituting the PSU.

Expert Comment

by:jbrownlow
ID: 35233189
Is anything being displayed on the screen when you first start it up?
Why You Should Analyze Threat Actor TTPs

After years of analyzing threat actor behavior, it’s become clear that at any given time there are specific tactics, techniques, and procedures (TTPs) that are particularly prevalent. By analyzing and understanding these TTPs, you can dramatically enhance your security program.

Author Comment

by:lilsleep12
ID: 35289768
yea it says disk drive malfunction and to insert disk

LVL 14

Accepted Solution

by:
Don Thomson earned 500 total points
ID: 35295559
Means your hard drive is problably lost it's boot sector
If you have another PC you can use - Get a copy of Seatools  from seagate - It can test just about any drive - Get the DOS version and create a bootable CD
Boot from it and have it fully check the drive - If the Drive is okay and passes all the normal tests, Put this drive in anoth PC as a secondary drive and backup all your data - Forget the PRograms - you can't just copy them but don't forget stuff like PST files for Outlook - Favorites, My docs, accounting folders etc

Then if you have an actual Microsoft OEM disc of Whatever version your using - you may be able to do a repair on it - XP Pro  and some of the Vista and Win7 versions allow this - Let us know which version of Windows you are using for more details

LVL 12

Expert Comment

by:Mike
ID: 35499774
This question has been classified as abandoned and is closed as part of the Cleanup Program. See the recommendation for more details.

Featured Post

Highfive + Dolby Voice = No More Audio Complaints!

Poor audio quality is one of the top reasons people don’t use video conferencing. Get the crispest, clearest audio powered by Dolby Voice in every meeting. Highfive and Dolby Voice deliver the best video conferencing and audio experience for every meeting and every room.

Join & Write a Comment

How can this article save you time AND money?  In just a few minutes you may discover something you didn't know existed that is easy enough for you to fix yourself!
I don't know if many of you have made the great mistake of using the Cisco Thin Client model with the management software VXC. If you have then you are probably more then familiar with the incredibly clunky interface, the numerous work arounds, and …
The viewer will learn how to successfully download and install the SARDU utility on Windows 8, without downloading adware.
The viewer will learn how to successfully download and install the SARDU utility on Windows 7, without downloading adware.

707 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

Join & Ask a Question

Need Help in Real-Time?

Connect with top rated Experts

16 Experts available now in Live!

Get 1:1 Help Now