C#.NET - MS Word print batch job
Posted on 2011-03-12
Hi Gurus ~
I'm learning C# and want to implement a program in the office. I'm just a beginner so if you could provide any guidance, I would greatly appreciate it. Here's what I'm trying to do:
* I've created a windows form with a drop-down list and a submit button.
* The drop down list should be populate with a list of employees. (The data can be taken from an excel file or from an SQL DB. I assume it might be easier to read an excel file.
* If I do open the excel file, it has to be in "read-only" mode. That file is constantly being updated and I don't want to halt the production system.
* Based on the selected employee (sales employee), I want to read a list of company names (from excel file or SQL DB). I'm guessing that I can store the list of names in an array temporarily.
* Now, based on the company names array, I want to print the word documents associated with the company name to the local printer, i.e. the sales document for "ABC". (It would be nice if I could print the documents without opening MS Word, but not a must)
* While all this happening, I would like to update the progress bar on the windows form notifying the user of its progress.
Once again, thank you in advance. If there is anything unclear, please let me know & I'll try my best to explain further.