Exchange 2007 SP3 installation fails at the beginning of the install as it attempts to stop the services in preperation for the install. When the installions fails I noticed the "Microsoft Exchange Search Indexer" service is stuck in the "Stopping" state. This services not stopping appears to be the reason for the installiaion failing.
After rebooting the server I found all the Exhnage services are in "Disabled" mode and have to manually change them back to Automatic and manually start them at which point the Exchange server is back up and running in it's previous state. I tried the SP3 install a second time and the exact same problem occurented with the "Microsoft Exchange Search Indexer" stuck in a "Stopping" state.
A bit of background, the Exchange server currnetly is running on SP1 and contains all server rolls. I sucessfullly ran the various preperation tools before attempting the upgrade and also stoped the Trend Anti Virus software prior to launching the install.
Out of curiosity I attempting to stop the Search Indexer service manually aftering bring the Exchange server back up and found that it got stuck "Stopping" again. I'm not aware of any problems with this service and certainly nothing is logged that would indicate a problem. I'm wondering if finding a way to stop this service prior to running the SP3 installation would allow for a sucesful install.