• Status: Solved
  • Priority: Medium
  • Security: Public
  • Views: 1261
  • Last Modified:

Sharepoint services error

I have a single-server installation of WSS3.0 using Windows Internal Database and also has a standalone install of Search Server Express 2008 on the same machine.

In the settings (Operations--Services on Server) for Windows SharePoint Services Search Service I changed the Content Access Account from Local Service to a local account I created called SPCrawler.

Now I get errors in the event log and the Admin Site does not show all the content (shows Render Error) for a little while, then works, then has the error again. Seems to be after a job runs and then it reverts back. I can't get to the Operations page again until it reverts back.

I tried to set the Content Access Account back to Local Service but it just takes me to the Unknown Error page with a link back to the site.

In the Event log I get:

Event 5214:
Insufficient SQL database permissions for user '' in database SharePoint_AdminContent
(notice the empty quotes for user!)

Event 3760:
SQL Database 'WSS_Content' on SQL Server instance 'np:\\.\pipe\MSSQL$Microsoft##SSEE\sql\query' not found. Additional error information from SQL Server is included below.
Cannot open database "WSS_Content" requested by the login. The login failed.
Login failed for user 'BC1CNQ\SPCrawler'.
A severe error occurred on the current command.  The results, if any, should be discarded.

Can anyone help?

 
0
Gandharva_Guy
Asked:
Gandharva_Guy
1 Solution
 
KoenVostersCommented:
You have to give the user access on the SQL Server.
To do that you need to install the Management Studio Express
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=c243a5ae-4bd1-4e3d-94b8-5a0f62bf7796&DisplayLang=en

and then connect to the pipe as described here:
http://www.mssqltips.com/tip.asp?tip=1577

Then you have to give the user SPCrawler access on your content database WSS_Content
0
 
Gandharva_GuyAuthor Commented:
Ok, tried to do that - it seemed to fix the admin site but then broke the user site in a similar way.
I then changed the Content Access account to Administrator and it seemed to fix it all.

I compared the Local Service permissions with another server I have and found that indeed it was missing access to WSS_Content. I am leaving the account as Administrator however since this is essentially the same permissions (even though it says not to use an admin account).

The reason I got into this mess in the first place was that no search results were being returned for my users except for me since I am site admin. I found that I needed to activate Office Server Site Search by going to Application Management-->Manage Web Application Features.

Sharepoint sure is touchy!
0

Featured Post

Veeam Disaster Recovery in Microsoft Azure

Veeam PN for Microsoft Azure is a FREE solution designed to simplify and automate the setup of a DR site in Microsoft Azure using lightweight software-defined networking. It reduces the complexity of VPN deployments and is designed for businesses of ALL sizes.

Tackle projects and never again get stuck behind a technical roadblock.
Join Now