[Webinar] Streamline your web hosting managementRegister Today

x
  • Status: Solved
  • Priority: Medium
  • Security: Public
  • Views: 243
  • Last Modified:

Super Simple Digital Signage - 2 jpegs

I have a situation where I need a monitor to display one logo 95% of the time, but the other 5% I need a different logo. Being able to put this on a timer would be a huge plus. I've searched through tons of digital media players, but most are overly expensive and complicated or don't explicitly state that they support static images.

VGA, DVI, HDMI, my monitor can support them all. Images are 1920x1080.

Thanks
0
Buffalo18
Asked:
Buffalo18
  • 6
  • 4
1 Solution
 
ChadinzskiCommented:
Would creating a PowerPoint slide show work?  

You could use the free PowerPoint viewer to display it on the final computer.
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=cb9bf144-1076-4615-9951-294eeb832823
0
 
Buffalo18Author Commented:
What I really need is a small appliance to push the content to the screen, rather than a PC.
0
 
ChadinzskiCommented:
OK - I'll keep looking.  You said small- not cheap.  This is a little silly, but how about one of these mini PCs that's a car:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16856502003
 Picture of mini PC CarThe connections are near the tail pipe.
0
The new generation of project management tools

With monday.com’s project management tool, you can see what everyone on your team is working in a single glance. Its intuitive dashboards are customizable, so you can create systems that work for you.

 
ChadinzskiCommented:
OK- so you did say that it shouldn't be expensive in your original post.

I'm still searching.
What about an old clunker PC?  The price would be right but not the physical size of it.

Or what about a thin client?  ($15 w/ shipping)
http://cgi.ebay.com/Wyse-WinTerm-WT1200LE-Thin-Client-Terminal-Used-/290534536319?pt=COMP_EN_Workstations&hash=item43a535347f#ht_500wt_949

It's used to remotely connect to a server running RDP.  Then the thin client could auto-connect and run the PowerPoint from the server.
0
 
Buffalo18Author Commented:
Powerpoint doesn't accomplish the timing aspect. What I'm really looking for is a small, unmanaged digital signage device that I can program to flip between the images based on a schedule. This has to mount behind a 47" display, so anything PC size won't work.
0
 
ChadinzskiCommented:
Is the $15 thin client out of the question then?  It would require an RJ-45 connection back to a server.  This doesn't make it fully independent, but it does allow you to remote into the server if you ever wanted to update what was displayed.  Since you'd be using a PC, you can use any software you wanted that accomplishes the timing.

Sounds like you'd like something a little more independent, right?
0
 
ChadinzskiCommented:
0
 
ChadinzskiCommented:
I've purchased a bunch of mini firewall units from Logic Supply.

You could also try www.mini-box.com.
http://www.mini-box.com/Mini-Box-M350-Barebone-System

I've purchased mini PCs from them too.  You could use Linux and boot from a USB stick to save on the cost of an OS and HDD.  Both of these solutions are probably closer to the $150-225 range though.
0
 
CompProbSolvCommented:
Have you considered a digital picture frame with HDMI output?

The timing might be an issue.  What if you had 20 images, 19 of which were the same.  If you could set it to do an immediate switch (no transition) and it did it cleanly (you'd have to test this visually), it might do the trick.
0
 
Buffalo18Author Commented:
Wound up doing a programmed feed off of an existing system. Completely proprietary.
0
 
Buffalo18Author Commented:
No solutions worked for me, I had to do something completely proprietary from an existing proprietary system.
0

Featured Post

Take Control of Web Hosting For Your Clients

As a web developer or IT admin, successfully managing multiple client accounts can be challenging. In this webinar we will look at the tools provided by Media Temple and Plesk to make managing your clients’ hosting easier.

  • 6
  • 4
Tackle projects and never again get stuck behind a technical roadblock.
Join Now