I am having trouble with a computer that will not access the DVD-RW if any blank media is inserted. When I click it, I get the error "Unable to access E:\ Incorrect Function" Normal DVDs and CDs that have been burned and had their tracks closed open fine.
To troubleshoot this problem, I have done the following:
1. Uninstalled Roxio DirectCD 5 and DirectCD 6
2. Run RoxiZap to remove remaining Roxio files
3. Uninstalled the DVD drive from Device Manager
4. Set the drive from DMA mode to PIO mode
5. Run the XP CD/DVD fix program often listed in these kinds of threads
6. Deleted Upper Filters/Lower Filters
7. Installed Nero BurnLite to see if I could trick it into working again
8. Performed an SFC /scannow to check system files
9. Disabled anti-virus, uninstalled anti-virus, etc
10. Checked for a "Burning" tab after selecting the drive in My Computer and choosing "Properties", there is no Burning tab.
11. I installed Adaptec ASPI drivers to see if there would be any effect.
I tried to run the Microsoft FixIt Tool for CD/DVD drives, but it will not run and gives an error, saying the tool is not necessary for the system or some other garbage.
I am running out of troubleshooting steps. Anyone have any potential solutions?