broken cavity ingested - what symtoms to expect

if the cavity broke and by accident some of it is ingested, any concern. dentist now looks and says it looks ok. but what about the small pieces that might have gone in?

thanks
LVL 6
anushahannaAsked:
Who is Participating?
 
silverkornConnect With a Mentor Commented:
if the dentist is not alarmed then I do not believe you have anything to worry about. the item should pass through your system within a day or two. If you start to experience any pain, vomiting or diarrhea then you should seek medical advise.
0
 
☠ MASQ ☠Connect With a Mentor Commented:
There will be no noticeable symptoms. Old fillings are pretty much inert & have to resist pretty much anything a person eats as well as their digestive system.  They otherwise post the same risk as any other small piece of indigestible debris that is swallowed.  I'd be more concerned about the future of the tooth it used to be attached to.
0
 
anushahannaAuthor Commented:
amalgam will flush out just as fine as ceramic?
0
 
☠ MASQ ☠Connect With a Mentor Commented:
Yep, free mercury absorption from an old amalgam restoration is virtually non-exisitent.  If you want to risk getting mercury into your system at a dentist have your fillings vaporized with a high speed drill and then inhale the vapor.  Inorganic mercury from fillings is also less easy for your system to grab than organic mercury compounds.
0
 
anushahannaAuthor Commented:
thanks for the info.
0
Question has a verified solution.

Are you are experiencing a similar issue? Get a personalized answer when you ask a related question.

Have a better answer? Share it in a comment.

All Courses

From novice to tech pro — start learning today.