Page cannot be displayed for Google subpages
Posted on 2011-03-17
We are having an issue whereby Google subpages for Maps, News, Books, Translate, Scholar, Blogs, Documents, Sites, and Groups return 'Page cannot be displayed' when trying to navigate to them. They cannot be pinged either. All other Google pages work. Occasionally google.com will return 'Page cannot be displayed'. This problem for the subpages is intermittent and primarily affects our laptop users, but not all of them. For example I have my desktop sitting right next to my laptop and if I go to translate.google on the desktop it works fine. If I try it on the laptop, it doesn't work. The particular laptop I am trying it on never leaves my office so it isn't some sort of roaming issue with our other laptops. We used to do our web security and content filtering through our SonicWall firewall but have since migrated those duties to OpenDNS. The issue is the same before and after. As much as I'd like to just write this off and find alternatives for news, translation, etc; I am finding that I am receiving increased complaints. We do use Google translate pretty heavily and haven't really found an adequate alternative (and shouldn't have to). I'd like to rollout Lingoes desktop client but it would result in the same issues. When using Google Translate through the software it returns 'Lingoes failed to connect to the server. If you are connected to the Internet, please check your connection settings in the configuration.'. My thinking is that this is some sort of a DNS issue but I've checked everything I can possibly think of and can't figure this one out. In any event, I'm looking for something, anything, to help resolve this issue properly. Thanks.