Solved

PDF irrecognizable code when opened in firefox

Posted on 2011-03-18
4
400 Views
Last Modified: 2012-05-11
I am creating a website with links to the pdf file. The webpages and pdf files are stored in one server. The pdf file can be opened through IE browser but not through the firefox browser.      

0
Comment
Question by:hanjgr
[X]
Welcome to Experts Exchange

Add your voice to the tech community where 5M+ people just like you are talking about what matters.

  • Help others & share knowledge
  • Earn cash & points
  • Learn & ask questions
  • 3
4 Comments
 
LVL 10

Expert Comment

by:Bawer
ID: 35164893
may be adobe add-on is not present in firefox, install the latest version of adobe pro and check back
0
 

Author Comment

by:hanjgr
ID: 35164943
(All the operations are on the web server!)

The web server has windows server 2003 32-bit, with MS IIS to manage the website.
The PDF files are already stored on the web server.
I use a link <a href="help/quickref/04_Print_a_Map9x2.pdf"> in a html file to open pdf.

I can display pdf file  in firefox from other web sites on the web server.
I can display pdf file stored on the web server in Firefox through "File/Open File...."
but when it comes to website address like :http://rims.gvmc-regis.org/supportcenter/help/quickref/01_How_to_Login9X2.pdf ( even stored on the same server) it gives me "corrupted" things like shown in the pictures.


This is what I have done:

1. I have tried several things according to the post #16012445 and other results I googled on line, installed the foxit reader, not helpful.

2. I have check the the MIME Type setting from IIS manager-> local Computer->property-> MIME Types....
.pdf  extension is set to be with MIME type: "application/pdf". I also restarted the IIS service. Still firefox cannot show the pdf file.

3. I installed  the Live HTTP Header extension on the web server, looking for the header info,
the html file's header includes: Content-Type: image/gif
the corrupted pdf file's header has: Content-Type:text/html
It seems like this is the problem.

I downloaded a MIME edit for firefox and added a new type: application/pdf for extension :.pdf. Still not helped.

All the operations are done on the web server.

I really appreciate any help!

pdf.bmp
0
 

Accepted Solution

by:
hanjgr earned 0 total points
ID: 35168853
I figured it out!
The website is managed by ServletExec. The MIME type for pdf needs to be added over there. --Set MIME Mapping.

0
 

Author Closing Comment

by:hanjgr
ID: 35196740
It works
0

Featured Post

Major Incident Management Communications

Major incidents and IT service outages cost companies millions. Often the solution to minimizing damage is automated communication. Find out more in our Major Incident Management Communications infographic.

Question has a verified solution.

If you are experiencing a similar issue, please ask a related question

Are you one of those front-line IT Service Desk staff fielding calls, replying to emails, all-the-while working to resolve end-user technological nightmares? I am! That's why I have put together this brief overview of tools and techniques I use in o…
Resolve DNS query failed errors for Exchange
In a recent question (https://www.experts-exchange.com/questions/29004105/Run-AutoHotkey-script-directly-from-Notepad.html) here at Experts Exchange, a member asked how to run an AutoHotkey script (.AHK) directly from Notepad++ (aka NPP). This video…
I've attached the XLSM Excel spreadsheet I used in the video and also text files containing the macros used below. https://filedb.experts-exchange.com/incoming/2017/03_w12/1151775/Permutations.txt https://filedb.experts-exchange.com/incoming/201…

752 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

Join & Ask a Question