Backups purging logs
Posted on 2011-03-18
Exchange 2007 SP2 server, SCC cluster (Active/Passive). All SG's have an SCR target at SCR1 server. Full backup every night.
I understand that a Full backup will purge commited logs. Questions:
1. At what point are the commited logs, purged? After the backup has fully completed?
2. What actually purges the commited logs? The backup software or Exchange?
3. How does purging the logs work in relation to SCR?
4. How does Exchange/ backup software know when to purge the logs? Is there some flag set on the store saying that a full/inc has been completed succesfully?
5. Is it both the database AND the transaction logs that need to undergo a full/inc backup for the committed logs to be purged?