Thinking about making my first website a free-bee
Posted on 2011-03-21
I have written an internal use only MVC website using MVC3, Entity Framework 4, LINQ to Entities and SQL Server 2008. But I have stil not yet written my first customer facing website.
I am thinking about offering my first website for free to a construction contractor, so I couild work at my pace and have a lot of latitude about how it would work.
I am no artist so I would say I wil not pay for any artwork that's needed to be purchase or fabricated. I would also not pay for hosting costs
1) Are there any other out of pocket costs to worry about?
2) Once it's deployed, would I need to support it? If so, what costs might I charge for that so it's not just about covering my costs but where I could make a trickle of revenue?
3) What kinds of things might a contractor want on his website?
* I'd expect there would be a gallery of photos from past jobs
* Possibly, a page where people could register by adding their names, addresses to a database
Would this be ASP.NET? MVC?
I don't really want to do an HTML only website, since I want this to be a learning experience for me.
What about the artwork? Does the artist make the CSS files?
Thank for your comments. I want this to be a nice first step of a site, and then I could write my own website which uses this site as the start to a portfolio.