• Status: Solved
  • Priority: Medium
  • Security: Public
  • Views: 425
  • Last Modified:

iphone sync to SBS 2003 randomly fails till after reboot

I have an SBS 2003 server that has 5 or so Iphone users on it. Every so often, maybe a few days, maybe a couple of weeks. The iphone users loose their ability to sync. Server reboot fixes it. Resetting the Exchange services doesn't fix it.

I am getting the following errors:
Exchange mailbox Server response timeout: Server: [WCSRVXX.DomainName.local] User: [stefaniec@domainname.org]. Exchange ActiveSync Server failed to communicate with the Exchange mailbox server in a timely manner. Verify that the Exchange mailbox Server is working correctly and is not overloaded.
-------

Suggestions?
0
nmaxwell-ks
Asked:
nmaxwell-ks
  • 6
  • 2
1 Solution
 
Cliff GaliherCommented:
Activesync relies on IIS as much as it does Exchange, so I'd start by restarting IIS (command prompt, iisreset /noforce) and see if the problem resolves, even temporarily.

If it does then you have *something* stomping on IIS. Usual culprits are AV scanners that lock log files, so IIS quits responding, and thus ActiveSync can't work correctly. Butg other things *can* stomp on IIS as well. I've seen several programs that insist on installing themselves into IIS's "default website" which is also where all of those Exchange hooks live with SBS 2003, so they end up in contention. One of the early spiceworks versions did this before they moved to Apache, for example. But there are many others. Gotta be careful installing 3rd-party apps on your SBS servers...

-Cliff
0
 
Alan HardistyCo-OwnerCommented:
Monitoring.
0
 
nmaxwell-ksAuthor Commented:
cgaliher - I just did the iisreset /noforce


Attempting stop...
Restart attempt failed.
The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion.
 (2147943453, 8007041d)
0
Hire Technology Freelancers with Gigs

Work with freelancers specializing in everything from database administration to programming, who have proven themselves as experts in their field. Hire the best, collaborate easily, pay securely, and get projects done right.

 
nmaxwell-ksAuthor Commented:
Since that failed I did an iisreset /restart - that worked.

Checking with users to see if sync is working.
0
 
nmaxwell-ksAuthor Commented:
As far as add-on apps, I've running Worry Free Business Security from Trend. I am going to upgrade to ver 7 to see if that changes anything.
0
 
nmaxwell-ksAuthor Commented:
iisreset /restart resolved the sync issues. Next steps?
0
 
Cliff GaliherCommented:
As I outlined in my first response, we've now established that this isn't Exchange, but is IIS.

Look at A/V (temporarily disable if you so choose) or other 3rd-party apps you may have installed that would install an IIS component. Those are the common culprits.

-Cliff
0
 
nmaxwell-ksAuthor Commented:
I will be updating the AV from WFBS 6.x to 7. I will report back tomorrow or the following day.
0
 
nmaxwell-ksAuthor Commented:
I just saw this was still open. Upgrading Worry Free Business Security from Trend resolved the issue.
0

Featured Post

Receive 1:1 tech help

Solve your biggest tech problems alongside global tech experts with 1:1 help.

  • 6
  • 2
Tackle projects and never again get stuck behind a technical roadblock.
Join Now